What’s wrong with our Blue Tang?

PucksTank

Hello all!

We brought home a blue tang on Wednesday from our LFS for where she was energetic and eating. After bringing her home we quarantined her for 5 days before introducing her into our main tank. She was fine at first, for a day or two, but then we noticed her behavior start to turn. She became lethargic and would stick close to the bottom of tank as if lying down on the stand where she would just stay and she also swims close to the wave maker allowing herself to get sucked into and she would just stick to it. Any help is much appreciated.

Her tank mates are a pair of clown fish (ocellaris)
A Brown Tang
A sailfin tang
A Lemon Damsel

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpeg
    IMG_2716.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 15
Is she swimming directly into the flow of a wavemaker? If so, that sounds like velvet: Marine Velvet Disease
It’s more her swimming underneath and close enough to the wave maker to get pulled in. When I gently push her away, she would just swim to the bottom and lay on the sand or swim into one of the caves, but she will eventually make her way back and get herself caught in the wave maker again.

I left her there overnight to see what would happen and she seemed fine the next morning, coming unstuck to eat and then going back to the wave maker.

The other fish avoid her too for the most part. They would all stay on the left side of the tank while she would stay on the right side close to the wave maker.

The other fish avoid her too for the most part. They would all stay on the left side of the tank while she would stay on the right side close to the wave maker.
Fish tend to avoid (or become aggressive towards i.e. try to chase away) other sick fish.

Is she swimming directly into the flow of a wavemaker? If so, that sounds like velvet: Marine Velvet Disease
I agree with HumbleFish. This is typical behavior of a fish with some sort of parasite.

Was the fish in a QT tank? If so, I’d recommend moving the fish back into QT tank as you’ll have a better chance to deal with any disease and/or parasite issues there.

Back