Help with Anemone ID

I do agree with elegance coral.DFS had a anemone like that and from the reserch that Iv done that looks just like one to me.But the strange thing is the Maroon hosting the anemone.Due to the fakt that they have such a strong,strong stin.

Cool, great news. Now I'll try to find more about them.

The clown is positively hosting, takes one of the three food and everything.

Added a new clown last week and haven't seen the new one showing any signs of hosting yet.

Hmm, may have hit a hitch on this being a hell fire. I have handled this one. The 5th day I had the tank it went through the grill into the rear chamber and had to be fished out, which I did by hand. While the nem was sticky there was no sting. I moved the second one away from a birdsnest about a week ago, again sticky (like a carpet) but no sting.

The results of the sting will vary from one person to another and where the person gets stung. Some people are more sensitive to these types of stings than others. You were stung. The stickiness comes from the anemone firing its stinging cells into your skin. If it was sticky "like a carpet", you were stung countless times. The skin on your hands is pretty tough, so it's odd to have a reaction from these stings on your hands. I wouldn't suggest putting the anemone on the inside of your forearm or some other more sensitive area of your body.

Its not a hell fire you can trust me on this, they are a type of rock anem that has been coming on rocks harvested from the florida area. They will host clowns but they never really get any bigger then about 4 inches before they split.

If you look back threw the threads you will see that I have a picutre of one hosting a clarki and and another person has a pair of black and whites hosting in one.

Here's a link that shows close up pic's of the tentacle structure of different "hellfire" anemones. Hope it helps.
http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/adorian/actinodendronidae.htm

"Hellfire" is a common or nickname for anemones with branching tentacles and a powerful sting. There are quite a few species that fall into this group. Hellfire is not a latin or scientific name that describes any one species.

The fact that a clown will or won't use it as a host in captivity is irrelevant. Clowns can acclimate themselves to many different critters. The host doesn't even have to be an anemone. We can't determine a species identity based on a clownfishs willingness to except it as a host.

Last edited:
Back