Help with goldflake angel

See how it goes the next few days. Also, consider adding a smaller tankmate to make the fish feel more comfortable.
BTW, is the fish not eating at all or just not enough?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

She was eating very sparingly. ATE a little American Reef HPD yesterday. Today actually ate a bit of flake. What I was able to closely observe now that she is in QT is that she has a real bad case of internal parasites as the poop coming out is white, very long and double string. Assuming she starts eating well soon, She will go on a 10-14 days regimen of fenbendazole/metro/focus mix in her food. Don’t think I will dose the tank though because it is internal. Fingers colosseum and thank you again.

Treating against intestinal parasites is definitely a good idea.
I would keep the fish in the smaller tank until it is well nourished and acts completely normal. At that point it should be fine in the display tank (as long as it gets along with the other fish).

I am concerned about the emperor upon reintroduction but first things first...need to get her to eat robustly so she can be treated internally. Is there any value in dosing the water for internal parasites?

GF is doing the same glass surfing in QT as she was doing in larger tank and not eating. So the stress of the other tank mates didn’t seem to be the problem, neither was the copper level as there is 0 copper in 55 g QT. Process of elimination seems to suggest it is the internal parasites.....

If the fish eats medicated food it shouldn't be necessary to dose the water.

Did you see any aggression from the emperor?

It can still be stress. But the intestinal parasites can be the trigger.
All you can do is tackle one problem after the other.
If the erratic behavior goes away with the white stringy poo then you will know.
If it persists then the search for the cause has to continue.

There’s less than .25ppm copper in the DT tank. However the emperor is glass surfing terribly. Beginning to think all have parasites which is likely as they all eat others feces occasionally.....anyway they are all getting treatment now. At least in the emperors case, He’s eating and can be fed the med.

If the fish is not eating, medicating the water is your only choice. Saltwater fish have to drink constantly to osmoregulate so medicating the water is an effective measure.

White stringy poo can be caused by stress, intestinal bacterial infection, and secondary infections due to intestinal parasites.

Metronidazole and Praziquantel should treat the bacteria and possible intestinal worms. API General Cure contains both of these in the right ratio. If you don't have it or can't get it locally it should be available online but delivery may take a week or two. Maybe reach out on your local forum if some reefer near you has some to spare.

Thank you. I do have Général cure which is my go to for this kind of ailment. I might take the emperor out and treat also...He’s [anic surfing now....

Well, at least that way they get to know each other on neutral ground...

BTW, if you think something might be off in your display it might be a good idea to do a larger water change (but only if you are confident that your RO water and salt are OK).
I would also discontinue the use of copper in the display. Copper is an immunosuppressant that may do more harm than good with long term exposure.

Ive done 2-70% water changes and have taken most of the copper out of the display. Now at .25 ppm. Currently Running TL resin and poly filter to pull out rest. The original treatment was 2.00ppm of copper power for 30 days. All fish clear and looking very good. No intention of running copper in DT going forward. I know that it will leach from the rock and sand for some time so expect to keep running resin and Poly to keep it at or close to 0. Thx,

Last edited:
So Goldflake still wont eat. I’m going to try some more today and if he doesn’t eat agin, I will Dogus the tank with GC. ANy other isles how to get him to eat?

If the fish is not looking for food it will be difficult to make it eat. Force-feeding would be the only alternative, but that is not easily done by someone without the proper training - I tried it before and it didn't end well.

The only thing you can do at this point is to try to resolve the underlying cause. I would start with the treatment against intestinal parasites and infections and see what happens.

I did start the GC regimen earlier today. Its interesting because he is looking for food. He actually approaches it with some Luke warm enthusiasm and then either veers away or takes it and spits it out. Its like he wants to eat it but he can’t....

Wait a day or two and then try again. If you can get some live food like Tigger Pods or Mysis it would be worth trying. Since you are in Florida it shouldn't be too hard to find or order as almost all the farms are around there. I know Aquaculture Nursery just had/has a sale.

I’ve been observing him more closely and now realize that he is having some difficulty with buoyancy. He’s doing backward upside down circles and swimming sideways allot. He was also doing some of this in the DT but now its much more noticeable. I’ve not heard of saltwater angels getting swim bladder disease but could it have been as a result of bringing him up too fast when collecting especially because he is a deep water species? What can I do to cure him of this potential ailment?

Last edited:
Decompression issues would be worst shortly after collection. Weeks or even months later it should not be an issue anymore. Affected fish would have succumbed to it or recovered by then.
If it only started a good while after you got the fish then it is more likely a symptom of an ongoing disease or infection.

Back