Help with ich issue

aquapod24

Okay month of planning weeks of setting up and today I find ich on two of my tangs. I do not have a quarantine tank. I have only a bit of coral, a few crabs and starfish. I purchased seachem cupramine and the copper test strips. Also purchased some seachem cuprisorb for after the treatment. I am going to have my invertebrates watched for me. The coral I'm just going to let go. My main question is. .. Does it really kill all the live rock and sand? If so should I pull a bit out to seed the others again? Also if anyone knows any other way please let me know. I appreciate your help.

Hey there, feel free to text me , 505-400-7725. I can hold ur corals for you.

Okay month of planning weeks of setting up and today I find ich on two of my tangs. I do not have a quarantine tank. I have only a bit of coral, a few crabs and starfish. I purchased seachem cupramine and the copper test strips. Also purchased some seachem cuprisorb for after the treatment. I am going to have my invertebrates watched for me. The coral I'm just going to let go. My main question is. .. Does it really kill all the live rock and sand? If so should I pull a bit out to seed the others again? Also if anyone knows any other way please let me know. I appreciate your help.

I have delt with ich several times. I found the best treatment is to feed well with vitamin enriched foods and keep the stress levels down. When I used to pull the fish or try medicating the tank with the super reef safe cure all stuff it never ended well. If the fish are eating and swimming well just keep tank stable and the fish will fight it off on their own.

I also agree. Every fish I put in my tank gets ick within days since it's a reef system that I can't use medication on.
They all survive and it clears up within a week including the 2 tangs I have had for over a year.

What tangs do u have in ur tank? My scopa is a butt and harrasses any other fish i introduce? Think he needs to go in the sump or trade.

I have a scopa in here but the largest is the sailfin and he is the head hancho in the tank. Not aggressive but will show he is the dominant one. I have the lionfish as well and If he decides to move around all move out of his way but for the most part he is ignored. Tangs.. scopa, yellow tang ×2, blue hippo tang, blue powder tang, achillis tang, sailfin tang and that's it

I have a sailfin and a flame fin tang. They never fight but the sailfin and the foxface will flair fins occasionally though they are usually buddy buddy and follow one another around.

Lionfish definatly has the right of way

That's a lot of tangs you have there lol

I hope you got all your questions answer about dosing copper for ich.

My choice of ich treatment which has always work 100% is Hypo Salinity.
(Cheap and easiest and safest way of treating ich in my opinion ***of course assuming you have a spare small tank to place the sick in*** if not then u will need to buy one)

While i was out on vacation my tank sitter did a huge mistake which caused my fishes to get completely covered in ich on top of other ich lol. Fishes looked as if they were covered in snow. I lost the majority of fish before i got home but i was able to save my sailfin and a few other by doing hypo salinity. Ich got knocked off in no time and the fishes were brought back to full health within less than 2 weeks.

One good rule to follow is to never never never treat your main tank with any copper base products as silicone will absorb any copper found in the water thus making ur water/tank no longer suitable for inverts and other copper sensitive inhabitants for the rest of the tanks life. Any copper treatment will kill anything on ur sand and rock thus not making it live no more. You will need to restart ur sand and rock if you were to add copper to the water in which both items are in.

If you really want to treat with coper, pick up a spare small tank for treatment only. (Sorry if you already know this).

If your tang has a few spots of ich i say don't sweat it, just feed it well and add garlic juice in their meals and water and that shoudl boost up their metabolism. If ich continues to come out then i would say save your money on products and just pick up a nice 15 gal or 20 gal from petco or where ever and perform hypo salinity (dropping ur salinity down to levels in which ich cannot survice 1.010 little by little until ich is gone, then start raising the salinity over the course of a couple days until your desired salinity.)

Last edited:
Back