Help with my Zoas

Lofty

So I've been working on getting my zoas healthy... I only have Eagle eyes and some random orange/purple... plus the small frag of willy wonkas... The willy Wonkas are new, and the others have been unextended for a while... so far my efforts have included adding the doser and maintaining 480 cal and 9dkh... my mag is 1350 and I have been adding 50 ml of Magnesion (brightwell) every few days to slowly increase mag as I read that zoas like higher mag levels... I am aiming for close to the top end of natural sea water (1500ppm). I have been dosing 10ml of h2o2 daily which has help clear up some algea/cyano issues and I have an order for Brightwell VC on the way. With the brightwell, how much would be a good starting dose for 100G water volume, are there any other suggestions... they are staring to peek out now and I want to get them out full once again. I know they are not diseased because, although they have not had any polyp extension for quite some time, I have not lost any of them. Any help is appreciated

What about the rest of your perameters, nitrates, phosephates, or ammonia? Try moving them to differant spots for water flow and lighting. I know I have had troubles trying to get them to grow in my tank. Just one of those corals that don't like my tank.

Phos is at zero, but I have hair algae, so I know that is not accurate.. same goes for trates. I haven't tested ammonia for months, but should be fine. I'll probably run that tonight... stupid thing takes 15 minutes. So it doesn't get done as often as it should.

I have tried the colony that can be moved in several different spots with minimal change... the immobile colony is under good flow (front and center) and both were once thriving, growing colonies... which leads me to believe it's lack of nutrients because of the maturation of the rest of the tank.

I have a similar issue with them. I've had a set of zoa's for about a year and there's roughly 20 heads on it and probably bought it with 15. They just grow really slow in my tank. All my SPS grows pretty fast or a lot faster then my zoa's.

Zoa's do not like ultraclean water. Great thread on this in the zoa forum. Jeez I forgot tyhe name but it is something like zoafreaks fantastic tank or something like that. It's a huge post. The guy has some fantastic zoas and runs his nitrate around 25ppm sometimes alot higher. I don't think he even tests for phosphate. At any rate, it would appear based on what I have experienced, that SPS and zoas demands are so opposed that the really can't be kept together. Maybe you can maintain but growth and color suffer. I am just tryin to get a Zoa heavy tank going myself so I wan't to keep it a little dirty. My previous tank was more SPS at the later stages and my zoa colonies just sort of dwindled. Not melted more like just starved...

Back