Hi guys

I'm using Kent Reef Mix. I've read that skimming can do it...but my skimmate isn't salty smelling? This IS weird...I've kept a tank for years and this is the first salinity issue I've delt with...joy, joy. I heat my mix, etc too...so not the temp. Temp matches my display.

I'm using Kent Reef Mix. I've read that skimming can do it...but my skimmate isn't salty smelling? This IS weird...I've kept a tank for years and this is the first salinity issue I've delt with...joy, joy. I heat my mix, etc too...so not the temp. Temp matches my display.

Skimming can, especially if you skim wet, but even then it would not have that much of an affect on it. Any water that is pulled out by the skimmer is going to be saltwater, and when you top off, you replace that saltwater with freshwater.

I have an ATO...I'll just have to assume this is the issue. Over a week's time, I could see how the ATO and skimmer combo could reek havoc on the salinity.

Do you think the new rock in my tank (above pic) could be leaking phos and nitrates? I spotted a little bit of red slime and I know it's not my water (5 stage RO/DI)...and when I feed the fish get every little bit there is.

Do you think the new rock in my tank (above pic) could be leaking phos and nitrates? I spotted a little bit of red slime and I know it's not my water (5 stage RO/DI)...and when I feed the fish get every little bit there is.

Have you tested Nitrate and Phosphate levels. The rock could be contributing to the problem, also, whether or not the fish eat all the food isn't an issue so much as how much you feed. Even if the fish eat the food it still gets processed and comes out as waste that has to be dealt with by the nitrogen cycle.

Yeah knew that part too. I feed every other day with 6 fish. I've tested and it doesn't detect, but that is always iffy because the red slime spot consumes what little is there and grows, hence undetectable. I figured the rock was the issue, I'll just have to remove the red slime and watch my levels.

I had a bit of cyano a few months back and got rid of it with a 3 day black out (no lights and drape the outside of the tank with black plastic).

Good tip...my poor fish though lol, I'd have to go another option, my corals would be near dead

Actually, just 3 days would have very little affect on your tanks inhabitants. I did the blackout on a 180g mixed reef with lots of SPS, LPS, some softies, a very large clam, and 4 anemones. After the first three days the Cyano was almost gone so I went lights on for one day and then did another blackout for two more days. After all was said and done the Cyano was gone and the only issue I had was with an RBTA that decided to wonder around the tank in search of light. Other than that everything was perfectly healthy. Lots of people have done this to get rid of algae or Cyano.

Impressive. I will def keep that in mind! What do you run now? Ever thought about LED technology? I just finished my build about a month ago. Loving the results!

Impressive. I will def keep that in mind! What do you run now? Ever thought about LED technology? I just finished my build about a month ago. Loving the results!

I have a few irons in the fire right now. I'm going to be building a 360g tank either later this year or early next year. I took down the 180 a few months ago to prepare for the new build. I put all of my fish, my clam, and anemones in a 125 in the basement, and what's left of my corals (hydor heater blew up in my tank while we were out of town) are in a frag tank. Then, acouple months ago I ran into a 90g tank and stand and decided to do a build with it. So right now I've got a 180g tank sitting dry, a 90g cycling, a 125g with fish clam and anemones, a frag tank, and the glass to build a 360g tank...:lol2:

90g build thread--->http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991818

Can NOT believe you got a 90 gal for $40. That is the exact size I've searched for forever! I ended up having to be "happy" with my 75 gal.
:( :(

Can NOT believe you got a 90 gal for $40. That is the exact size I've searched for forever! I ended up having to be "happy" with my 75 gal.
:( :(

Yeah, I couldn't pass that up. I got the tank and stand for $35, I spent about $3 on silicone, and a couple bucks on a can of black paint for the stand.

Keep an eye out for me too! lol So much more space to work with. As you can see from my pictures I have 90 gallons worth of LR with 75 Gal of space...not a good mix!

Back