High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

Yesterday I finally had a sighting of the chiton that I got from KP Aquatics. I knew that it was a creature that I would only catch glimpses of occasionally, but it was reassuring to see it munching on algae at the water surface behind the rim. I have decided to name it Charles the chiton!
The cucumber is Karl.

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_142650720.jpg
    IMG_20221130_142650720.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221130_142710306.jpg
    IMG_20221130_142710306.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
Nice pics of Charles and Karl! Your tank's looking great too!
Thanks Michael. I see Karl pretty much every day but Charles is much more elusive.
This morning Dave and I went to one of our lfs to get Coral Vite. They don't carry it anymore which was a bummer. However, I did not come home empty handed. I bought 3 feather dusters (and got one free since it was stuck to another), some ulva, and 2 firefish gobies. I like that firefish hang in the top portion of the water column and they are an easy fish to care for. So, it wasn't a wasted trip, LOL!

Last edited:
I have some sad news. One of my firefish jumped! My lid is a combination of a diy netted cover and the front of an old glass top I used to have. They fit pretty well in the middle if I am mindful to make sure they are tight against each other. Unfortunately I did not check that before we went to eat our dinner and one of the firefish was able to jump up in the middle of the tank through a 8th inch sliver between the two tops. It stinks and I feel terrible that I was not more careful. Now the other firefish is acting a little more timid although it does come out and eat and swim around.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that Barney was not in his coco worm tube. After 3 days I sadly decided that he must have died.

Well a few days ago I saw a flash of movement in the sump. It was Barney & I was so happy. However now I had a dilemma...do I leave Barney in the sump with Rice Krispies, the lobster like pistol shrimp! Or do I rip the sump apart and try to capture him so he could be returned to the display? Turns out I decided on the latter. It was a mess but I did get my fish and Barney is now back in the display! Yea!!!!

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that Barney was not in his coco worm tube. After 3 days I sadly decided that he must have died.

Well a few days ago I saw a flash of movement in the sump. It was Barney & I was so happy. However now I had a dilemma...do I leave Barney in the sump with Rice Krispies, the lobster like pistol shrimp! Or do I rip the sump apart and try to capture him so he could be returned to the display? Turns out I decided on the latter. It was a mess but I did get my fish and Barney is now back in the display! Yea!!!!
Yay😄

I have been wanting more flow in the display tank because of all the detritus that continually settled on everything. I am hoping more flow will keep the detritus in suspension until it can be filtered out.

I looked at powerheads but really did not want to spend more money. So I decided to look in my bin of unused pumps to see if I had any old Rio pumps that could work. I saw my gyre which I put away because I was not happy with it but decided to see if cleaning it would help. Much to my surprise it did help so I have set it up. I do not have the owners manual to instruct me how to program it but I did manage to get it on a continual mode at 40% which is the most that I would want in my tank anyhow. This should add about 1200gph to what I had and hopefully the gyre motion will lift detritus.

The feather dusters seem to like the added flow if nothing else.

What is the make of the Gyre? I know there was an original gyre but the make escapes me and then there are a bunch of other manufacturers that followed suit in making gyres.

What is the make of the Gyre? I know there was an original gyre but the make escapes me and then there are a bunch of other manufacturers that followed suit in making gyres.
I can't remember right off hand. It is not the Maxspect however which I think was the original. I think the reason I quit using it was that it would make a vibrating noise. So far so good right now.

Back