High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

I can't remember right off hand. It is not the Maxspect however which I think was the original. I think the reason I quit using it was that it would make a vibrating noise. So far so good right now.
Gotcha, my Jebao knock off sucks, so I quit using it.

Not new, I’ve had it for a while, but it’s really taken off lately.
Somehow it is especially rewarding when a coral that you have had for a while all of a sudden begins to flourish! Not everyone appreciates gorgonians, ( I did not used to) but I love them now. I like how you can aquascape them to be like well placed trees or shrubbery in a yard. The photosynthetic ones seem to be fairly hardy too which is a plus!

Today I syphoned out detritus, (seemed like a good reef activity to start off the year!). I also puttied a small gorgonian frag to a rock to secure it. I have 4 new feather dusters coming in a week and a half from KPA. Also a purple plume gorgonian and some cheato.

I need cheato since I already have caulerpa cupressoides, codium, red grape caulerpa, gracilaria, lobophora, ulva, and opuntia. How many macro algae species are enough,,,just one more!!!

Yesterday I went to one of the lfs near me that does an amazing job with coral. They have both frags and colonies and everything always looks so healthy.
I took my gyre because one side was not putting out much flow at all and the young man who oversees the store is a friend. He took the gyre apart, cleaned components and then showed me how to set it up. That was so helpful and now I have it in the display on gyre mode and it's great. It should definitely help with the detritus settling on everything so I could not be more pleased.

I bought 3 coral while I was there and he gave me a green slimmer frag to try. So now the tank has a frag of frogspawn, a hammer and a small bird's-nest colony. I will try and get a pic soon although this upcoming week I have a gorg, feather dusters and some cheato coming so maybe I will take the pic after they are in the tank.

My order from KP Aquatics came today. It looks good now with everything in the tank. One gorg came in brown water but hopefully that doesn't mean anything.

I was making room for stuff and the next thing I knew I was pulling out green palys, codium, ulva and purple sponge on the left side of the tank. I put the codium and ulva back and added a seahorse figurine I bought when I worked at the seahorse pet store. Maybe it's tacky but it's a tribute to an animal I love as well as a job I loved!

I made a video of the tank with the new stuff and changes I made, even though it's still a little cloudy. The verdict is still out on the gorg that came in brown water, it's missing significant flesh this morning. I sent pics to KPA so I am sure if it dies that they will do right by me.

The video starts out with the gyre on but then I turn it off hoping that would stop the flickering from the LEDs. It didn't.

So, what do you all think of the figurine? I am going for an ancient temple like statue look, especially when I get some coral and macroalgae to overtake it. However, my feelings won't be hurt if you all don't like it, LOL.

I cleaned the tank so took some pics! Also tested nitrates; 25ppm and phosphates;.25 ppm. I can hear the gasps now at such high phosphates and I do plan to increase my frozen food and decrease the freeze dried to hopefully lower phosphates a bit. My coral color is pretty good though and macro algae need phosphates or can die off. I also removed the nems that were on the overflow box. I did not want them to possibly clog the overflow or drain. They live in the sump now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_130306727.jpg
    IMG_20230119_130306727.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230119_130318210.jpg
    IMG_20230119_130318210.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230119_130325975.jpg
    IMG_20230119_130325975.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230119_130333370.jpg
    IMG_20230119_130333370.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230119_130342983.jpg
    IMG_20230119_130342983.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
So, how did you move the nems? They can discrete some stuff if exposed to air or just moved into a different flow patterm. I'll say something else in a minute. But with the macros you have, that should drop fairly quickly. I'd take ia reading in a day or two and see what you get. Every thing in the tank looks great. Next, show me your sump.

So on the nems. When and where did you get them? Just wanted to see if my legecy is still running around!!!

@Misled are those anemones from you?
I don't know, but it's possible they are just newer generations. Back when I had the old 54 corner, I picked up a tiny nem about the size of a half dollar. About a year into it, it started splitting. It never stopped. I sold a few to locals, then started just giving them away. If one moved on the glass, I'd move it out and sump it. After a few years of just trying to slow it down, I just shut the tank down. Took the last 19 to a LFS and gave them to him. I'd imagine there's still a few running around.

Last edited:
So, how did you move the nems? They can discrete some stuff if exposed to air or just moved into a different flow patterm. I'll say something else in a minute. But with the macros you have, that should drop fairly quickly. I'd take ia reading in a day or two and see what you get. Every thing in the tank looks great. Next, show me your sump.

So on the nems. When and where did you get them? Just wanted to see if my legecy is still running around!!!
Hi Jesse,
Thanks for the kind words. This is my favorite tank that I have had so far of the 4 tanks I have had in my life.
Since the nems were on a flat, smooth surface, I just gently peeled them off. None of the 3 appeared to have any damage to their feet after I removed them.
The sump has much much less flow since there are no powerheads down there, just the return pump. I did take some parameter readings before I left to see our grandkids in Nashville and everything was good. I will take a pic of the sump when we get home but it's very utilitarian. It has a Coralife quad t5 fixture over it but I have been lax about changing the bulbs.

My first original rainbow BTA came from Ted (Acer). Even when everything is very stable those nems still divide. Seems like rose and rainbow BTAs just do that.

I did give Ted at least one. Pretty sure it was around the time we were meeting for lunches because of the state of the club. That's really cool. Do you still talk to Ted?

Back