House Remodel Tank Recovery: the start.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
A lengthy power-out a couple of years ago and, though I got things through it alive, a rough spot for the tank was followed with the start of house remodel, which rendered both basement sump and upstairs tank inaccessible: I could top off and feed, and that was the total available access for 2 years.

Well, we are getting there, and after all that's gone on, I'm down to a few fishes and no corals. But I have tank access again, mostly.

This is a 105 gallon bowfront, a yard deep, yard wide, yard back, and I couldn't even access the scraper to change the worthless plastic blade for the metal version, so you could hardly see into it: cyano, algae, you name it.

At one point it had, after being cycled for years, developed a massive algae growth thanks to a spirulina spill (feeder malfunction)---and that had to be dealt with. Fluconazole and a good skimmer were my weapons, and it got it, where NoPox and a good skimmer failed. The rock became bare except for coralline.

I could test enough to try to moderate the chemistry through the access I did have, but water changes went by the board. I managed one, in 2 years.

This last week, with quite a bit of remodel to go, I managed to get access to the top. I found, under the canopy, massive salt creep, and a strange orange semitransparent and gel-like sheet covering the bottom of the top glass,which was also blocking the light. I got that off. Corrected the salinity from 1.019 to 1.024 because of the salt creep and the last 4 months of utter non-access. Got the blade on the scraper changed. We have had, since the Fluconazole, an explosion of limpets, actually a welcome thing. The occupants are happy with the changes. And I am (once the basement sanding is done) going to start on a program of massive water changes, starting with a 30 gallon, then 2 days on a 20 gallon, then another 2 days and another 20, then take up regular changes, operating from the basement sump.

I am going to follow this by a massive gravel cleanup: rather than stir it up and insult my brave surviving fishes, I'm going to install a large crew of sand cleaners with a refreshment of snails and hermits---

Sump is a 30 gallon, with coral rubble and one of those ceramic blocks. I'm going to refurb the bristle worm population, as well, and will do water changes from the sump, using my pump siphon to draw off water with the system shut down, then pump in new water, etc.

I would incidentally say that anyone who has a 36" deep tank and a 30" arm reach could benefit greatly from the Tunze Care Magnet:keeps me sane. And now that it has its metal blade (glass tank) we are doing well.

So---the tank is coming back to life. Chemistry and creepy-crawlies first.

I'm still debating whether to go back to stony corals or softies or a combo of the two. I use a Gen 3 Radion. The 36" depth is a lighting issue for stony.

Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Wow, that's quite the journey. Hoping everything gets back on track! Must have been agony not being able to resolve those issue for that long.

Lord, and I had to look at it (and feed the poor fishes) daily, wishing I could lay hands on the problems...but the 8 day winter no-generator power out set up my problems, and the immediate entry into a massive house remodel just finished the job. I am right now at a crossroads of destiny for this tank. I know I want corals, but I've had a softie tank (back in the day when we didn't understand very much) and a a very successful stony tank, and I know the problems of maintaining a mixed tank, though with the problem of lighting that tall stack of rock all the way down, stony alone is daunting. Bubble could handle the bottom tier, probably.

I'd like to try some of those. I used to have brilliant success with hammer, partially because, I think, it gets aggressive and scares the neighbors.

How about LPS?
Adds a lot of movement to a tank & lighting is lower.
You might even like acans?

Yeah, as obtuse as they can quickly get, I really enjoy the slow movement of my torches. Even though everyone who sees my tank for the first time thinks they are anemones.

I like a softie and lps mix. I think they work well together, and especially that tank shape. I enjoy the movement of coral as well, although full sps tanks are great to look at too...

It's been thirty plus years since I managed any softies. I mean, you can let purple shrooms just take the place and it would be pretty---had that happen on a massive rock, and traded it before it became shroomageddon, but maybe some zoas on the bottom rocks, or such? Any ideas for softies that won't run amok? and that don't set everything off? I had an encrusting pink leather once that would touch off the whole tank when mildly annoyed, and then would turn all purple and everything would close. I'd like things that don't take over and that can be decent neighbors.

The gen 3 Radion can reach down there, but not as violently, and flow is good---got a Gyre, and it rolls stuff all the way around and down and up.

I have a regular toadstool and a Japanese toadstool with green fingers. Neither bother any coral and have been really fun to watch grow. They also have not been invasive.

Back