how many tangs is too many???

jthao

Super Saiyan
I got a buddy whose got 4 tangs (purple, sailfin, naso, and yellow) and he's got it in a 125g. they're doing ok, and they've gotten used to each other, so they don't fight. I'm going to put them in my tank (180g). but those are not my favorite tangs..... I really want either an achilles or a sohol tang. my question is can I put those in now, and then add a sohol or add an achilles later? most likely I'll want a sohol. thanks for any input.

thanks!!!! that was helpful. anyone else has advice based on experience?? any experiences will help.

I agree...... I really just want the purple the yellow and a sohal in the 180. but i'm considering putting the naso and sailfin in too, making it 5 tangs..... which i'm iffy about doing. thanks for your inputs guys.

I had 3 in a 120 and it started to get territorial in my tank between the hippo and sailfin. I got rid of the hippo and bristle tooth and jut kept the sailfin.

Think part of the problem that you will run into is that a Sohal tang will get pretty mean, and not be too happy about all the other tangs.

thanks guys, I'll have to see how they react to each other. as for now I think that I'll just keep the purple. and then maybe just add the sohol later.

well, for now I can't have a 500 gallon tank, so maybe I'll pass on the sohal. besides I don't pay for the electricity bills so I think that my parents wouldn't be too happy with me running a 500g reef tank!!

at one time or another, i've had all tangs you've mentioned except the achilles (sp?) tang, here's my experience:

for a long time, in a 120, a 7" naso, 4" purple, and 4" sailfin got along pretty well, i'd say. The sailfin was actually the aggressor, here. grew from 1.5 inches to 4 and started to fight with the purple when he got aroud 2.5 - 3" long. Naso didn't care.

So I removed the sailfin, and just kept the 4" purple and 7" naso for a while. Naso grew some (8" approx), 4" is as big as the purple ever got.

about 4 months later, I got a 3.5" sohal. beauty, but very highstrung. constantly cruising at high speed. he was dwarfed by both the purple and naso.

I started loading up on the nori seaweed for these three every day, the three would eat about a half-sheet of nori, cut into 2" squares and put in a lettuce clip. about 6-7 pieces per day.

a year later, the sohal was 7.5", the naso was about 9", and the purple stayed at 4". by this point, the sohal was undesputed Boss of the tank. The Naso was a good inch thick, so she had some bulk on her, I never saw the naso and sohal squabble, except that the sohal was #1 at the Nori every day.

Then the Sohal took a nosedive onto my floor. He was 7.5" by then. sucked.

9-10 months later, my Naso expired. She'd been with me for about 6 years, since the time I had a wet/dry with Nitrates of 50+, so my rookie/neophite years took a toll, I'm sure.

Just sharing my experiences.

G.

thanks for sharing..... darn, that sohal died!!! I would've cried, seriously!!! man, sohals are soooo nice, I can't help myself. I just want one.

Back