How much is too much?

LisaP

Premium Member
Hi there,

I have managed to acquire a beautiful Balanophyllia sp. coral and was wondering how much I should be feeding it, specifically how much is too much food? I know that it is possible to over feed NPS corals but have no idea how quickly they can digest food.

I would really appreciate some help with this. Here is the coral in question.

balano170617_orig.jpg

Thanks so much!

Regards

Lisa

Hi there,

I know that it is possible to over feed NPS corals but have no idea how quickly they can digest food.

Regards

Lisa

Thats not true. Another zombie myth. I believe this came about the fact that Sun Corals and other NPS hard corals will expel their waste as a thick mass. This can become lodged in-between separate heads and cause rot. This can be prevented by suppling enough flow so that the waste will be carried away. Feed your Balany meaty foods small enough to fit into its mouth 4-5 times a week and you`ll be golden.

Thats not true. Another zombie myth. I believe this came about the fact that Sun Corals and other NPS hard corals will expel their waste as a thick mass. This can become lodged in-between separate heads and cause rot. This can be prevented by suppling enough flow so that the waste will be carried away. Feed your Balany meaty foods small enough to fit into its mouth 4-5 times a week and you`ll be golden.

OK great! So feeding it smaller amounts multiple times a day is not recommended? It seems like it's not required but I thought it might encourage the polyp to be open during the day as well as in the night.

Regards

Lisa

If the polyps are out, it is ready to eat. Corals natural time to eat is at night when the fish that would eat them are sleeping. Generally, only large predators are active at night so smaller reef fish are sleeping. Also, that's why reef fish are brightly colored. Those bright colors bleed out and are less visible in the night light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back