how much you spent on this hobby??

reefmedown

I know this is a butt hurt thread, how much you spent and how long you have been this hobby? if there is a chance you can get all the money back but you cant reef anymore, would u do it???:mad2::smurf::bounce3:

I have been this hobby for less 2 years, im so enjoy it. I spent over 5k. the most regretful coral I had was the $200 colony dendro. I bought so many tanks but only use 2 month or less then I would buy another one when ever I see new one publish on the market. god, I wish I can have those money back to spend on something like bounce mushroom or high end zoa. which I have it now.:bounce3:

I regret buying everything new. I should of bought second hand and i would of saved crap load's. I must of spent close to £3000 on my 2 foot cube. It amount's up very fast.

I'm new to the Hobby, I bought a 55gal set up, tank stand, dead nasty rock powerhead pump, uv sterilizer, cheap broken protein skimmer, broken heater, and lights (not working) think it's just the bulbs) for 100 bucks. Bought a new heater, master test kit, and refractometer for 140. Box of salt $60 from LFS. Plan is to upgrade the sump, get ro/di unit, new skimmer, lights, auto top off, etc so that's another $1000 unless I can find all this used and I still won't have livestock in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why did you have to make me think this much about it. This tank was supposed to cheap and easy. Oh well, just don't tell my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll bite. Thousands. Yup. :lol: It's just money at the end of the day and the challenge of successfully growing sps makes me happy.

I'll bite as well. Not a single coral/fish/invert in my tank and i'm already tickling the $1500 mark. This is just on a single tank as well. I'm planning about $2-5k on livestock.

I don't have living expenses and i have a decent paying job, making the expenditure easy.

Been in the hobby since 1988. Over that period of time even toothpaste adds up. I'd wager I've spent more in this hobby than on toothpaste though.

Going on 3 years and I'm pretty sure I could have bought a brand new car with what I've spent.

Think of it this way though, can you put a price on something that brings you joy?

I regret buying everything new. I should of bought second hand and i would of saved crap load's. I must of spent close to £3000 on my 2 foot cube. It amount's up very fast.

Really?
Surely there are some things which you didn't regret

I'm 'new' still and I too bought everything new and some from China and the quality is very different.

For example, tank-wise, if you bought 2nd hand, if you were unlucky, it could fail right?

I bought a 2nd hand Phosban reactor.....its covered in white specs of.....what looks like paint. I still haven't got around to cleaning it yet and have zero idea how to clean it inside....cant fit my hand in.

Hmmm......a lot too but compared to some, its not much.

Most expensive to up date has been....new

Reefer 170 tank
Radion xr15w pro
mp10wqd
deltec sc1455 skimmer

and...for xmas present...GHL doser and ProfiLux 4

Corals and fish wise, I only do frags, most expensive was around $30 and for fish....$20.

I bought a 2nd hand Phosban reactor.....its covered in white specs of.....what looks like paint. I still haven't got around to cleaning it yet and have zero idea how to clean it inside....cant fit my hand in.

The white specs are probably precip of calcium, soak it in vinegar for a while, then rinse in plain water. It should come perfectly clean if it is in fact calcium precip.

I'm at about 5k for my Reefer 425xl, of which almost all items were purchased on significant sales. Granted, I went and bought everything I wanted like a full 2016 Apex, etc.

...2 clown fish and 4 tiny frags are the only livestock so far...

Been in the hobby since 1988. Over that period of time even toothpaste adds up. I'd wager I've spent more in this hobby than on toothpaste though.

I've been at it about the same length of time. And I'm certain that I've spent more on the tank(s) than on toothpaste!

I'm pretty sure I could have bought a really nice brand new sports car with what I've spent.

Think of it this way though, can you put a price on something that brings you joy?

What they said!

Back