How old is your oldest clown?

meg

Premium Member
I told my granddaughter I would ask on this forum, how old is your oldest clownfish. Becca has an 11 year old maroon clown that she got for her 1st birthday. She has researched online and most of the info she finds says life expectancy for them in captivity is any where fom 6-10 years. We are hoping to hear from some of you with maroons that are older than her "Nemo"!
Thanks,
Meg

I had a pair of ocellaris for a bit over 20 years and they didn't die of old age but got killed by a stuck heater. Since I didn't get them as larva they may have been at least a year when I got them.
Paul B. has a clown for about 26 years now if I remember right.

I think 30 years may be the upper limit.

I had a maroon clown that lived 7 years. This was in the 1990's. Had I really known what I was doing, he would probably still be alive.

I have an Occ. Clown that will be 13 in August. Atleast that's how long I've had her but she was wild caught so could be 1 or 2 years older.

I've had my Ocellaris going on 10yrs in a handful of different tanks. She's no grandma. She still tears me up when I clean the tank. With gusto!

Thanks everyone ! It's nice to hear from people who actually have had their clowns a long time! Still hoping to hear about some maroon clowns!

I got my ocellaris as a tank raised junevile in May 1998. The store told me that the fihs in that tank were about 6 months old. So my Nemo is 17. Funny how the first thing people say when they see the tank is "hey - there's Nemo!" I finally gave up and I call him Nemo too.

I have an Ocellaris that is 21+ years old. I've had it 21 years, and it wasn't that small when I got it so it could be a year or two older than that.

BTW: even if you get a small wild caught, it doesn't mean he is a baby or young. They can be quite old despite being small if they were developmentally suppressed by the resident pair in their anemone.

The really interesting question is if this not just stops their development but also their aging. If that would be the case they could possibly get even older.

I have a pair of 9 year old Tomato clowns.They get better looking the older they get. The female is a very aggressive and territorial.

I have a tomato giving to me at 8 years old,really didnt want the guy, but had to do something so i kept him

Back