How rare is this?

How long are they actually out of water?
I've seen some close enough to the shore or high enough on rocks that they would be out of the water for at least 2 hours.

When I go down for a look I usually get there as the tide hits it's lowest point. Then I look around for about an hour. By then the tide is coming back in but it would still take about another hour until it is all covered back up.

A lot of the LPS coral there can also end up out of the water. But I'd say most of it is only exposed for up to 30/45min max. But those leathers grow right up close to the shore and can be out of the water for ages.

Wow what did I miss...

Wow what did I miss...

I must say, that at first... I looked at this thread, and thought, that's cute... But after further review, I am now Amazed!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
PS... I just wish I could get fish food so easily... ;) Good luck next low!!!

Last edited:
That's so cool. I don't think there is a difference between collecting yourself and buying from a store. It has the same effect on the ecosystem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My new nano has almost finished cycling.

All the new stock will be bought from a collector.
Good to hear Lewy! I don't know if you saw my last post about the local Facebook page "Darwin N.T. Reefers" but if you didn't then please join up.

In case you don't have Facebook we are having a meet up at monsoon on the 7th of May at 5pm. Would be great to see you there :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just went through this thread (though not in exhaustive detail). Thanks so much for posting this!! Best of luck on your future tank endeavors and life.

Hello. I'm Emma Thompsom. I'm 30 years old. I'm from Ohio, US.
I want to give you an Inspirational Quote: "Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same."
I hope this Quote will help you feel funny. :rollface:
Sometimes we need a few pointers on inner strength, this in turn makes us realize that we are not the only ones who've gone through hard times, that no ones an exception and that we can get through it with a little bit of positive hope and a handful of lines for guidance. Unless you puke, faint, or die, keep going (Jillian Michaels).

Best regards,

I'll see what I can do for you guys.

On the subject of wild B&W clowns. I have been told that they are becoming quite scarce now.

On the subject of wild B&W clowns. I have been told that they are becoming quite scarce now.

It would be great if they could be tank bred on site in Australia. If there are still enough pairs out in the refuge you would not even take pairs from the wild, but just provide them with a desirable substrate for their eggs and "steal" a nest once in a while. If enough pairs were involved you would have a well diverse gene pool with little to no impact on the wild population.
Using wild plankton could ensure they have not the deficiency defects so common with many tank raised.
A part of the so raised juveniles could be released into unoccupied anemones outside the refuge to restore lost population there.
I would think there is still a good market for certified unmixed Darwin "ocellaris".

Especially those raised in the US could be any kind of mix which is why I would never buy those unless they were certified F1 generation of a wild collected pair.

Fantastic thread!! Darwin B&W has always been my favorite of all Clownfish species. Those yellow Fungia had spectacular tentacle extension and amazing coloration that I've never seen on the market. You're so lucky to have that type of stuff so close to you. I'm glad you overcame your personal issues whatever they might have been, and it's great that you have a tank again! I also just recently got back into the hobby after a few years because I had a nice bubble tip decide to explore the powerhead and I was out of town.. That was in early 2014 I believe and I just got a tank again last month so I know your frustration. Thanks for the pictures as well, I'm looking forward to more.

Holy Crap, I finally finished reading this whole thread.

I loved your pictures, and man your dedication to this thread, is amazing.

Hows that Nano coming along? I just started mine up just a few days ago. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Nano is sort of coming along. It has been very hot here this year and the Peltier cooler that I was playing with just didn't cut it.

Tank temp got up to over 33 degrees celcius and the corals didn't like it at all.

So I have had to order a refrigerant based chiller.

Back