How stomatopods judge distance

If called to testify I would say that my G>chiagra could see all the way into another room. Not only that but he would do it using the glass as mirrors. I can't count the number of times I found him in his burrow facing out but with his eyes turned to the side as if he had been watching a reflection of the family in the kitchen.

Does that mean that where the human eye sees the three primary colors Red, Blue and Green, and makes all the other colors we see from the combination of these three colors, that Mantis shrimp see in 16 "primary colors"?

Thanks
David

not to get off topic but the three primary colours are red blue and yellow not green..

the eye of this animal is fascinating...i was just at Aquatic Kingdom in Mississauga and they had 2 5" peacock mantis' and i stood there and watched them for about an hour, very interesting and inquisitive animal...i would have to say they can certainly see out of the tank...cause both of these two where intently watching the tanks beside them full of cleaner shrimp and sally light foots and snails...it almost looked as though they were licking their chops..LOL

It's green, not yellow. Look up the difference between additive color and subtractive color.
Monitors and elecronics use RGB (Red, Green and Blue) to form the images, it does not mean that those are primary colors. Lately a TV manufacturer is adding yeelow to that so becoming RGBY.
In painting and graphic arts, primary colors (Meaning those that can not be made by combining other colors) are red, yellow and blue. Green is made with yellow and blue, orange with yellow and red, purple with blue and red, brown with red, yellow and blue and so on.

That video is awesome. I thought I was trippin' when I saw my mantis' eyes doing that. Thanks for posting.

So how far can Odontodactylus Scyllarus see? If I am 5 feet away eating at the table can it clearly see what I am doing?

If my memory serves me rite...O.scy has some of the lesser developed eyes in comparison to other species, Spearers tend to have the most advanced eyes.

In terms of color and polarization vision, Odontodactylids are probably the best.

Resolution is not as good as our vision, but close - and certainly better at picking up movement.

Roy

well there you go =)

But I am pritty certain that its the spearers whom have greater depth perception.

No, it depends on the size and shape of the eye and the size and orientation of the ommatidia. You may have assumed this because many spearers have bilobed, elongated eyes which should give better parallax, but some spearers such as P. ciliata don't have bilobed eyes and some smashers do.

ROy

No, it depends on the size and shape of the eye and the size and orientation of the ommatidia. You may have assumed this because many spearers have bilobed, elongated eyes which should give better parallax, but some spearers such as P. ciliata don't have bilobed eyes and some smashers do.

ROy

I am not one to dispute anything you put forward.

Having said that nearly everything that I provide on here (minus my own pics / vids) is just something you have told me/us on here before, I do not have a photographic memory so lots of it is "I recall reading" which doesn't exactly equate to an exact answer....

I have never known "exactly" what species has greater vision in others all I know is what has been already once stated.....I cannot recall the threads name or the reason to the thread but I do distinctly (for some reason) remember you telling (us/me) that O.scy has some of the worst eye site (doesn't mean its actually bad/blind... I mean the worst eye site for a stomatopod still far exceeds our own) but in direct comparison to other stomatopods.

Also recall you saying once (either to me directly in a PM or in a thread) that spearers posses the best depth perception out of the 2 sub species mostly for the sake of there raptorial appendages.

beyond those 2 things I can't remember much about eyes directly....

Hence why I am confused o_O maybe I need to brush up on the eyes a bit...

Someone told me G. smithii in perticular has the strongest vision out of all stomatopods... thoughts on this?

Joe

Back