How stomatopods judge distance

The ability of G. smithii to distinguish colors in the visible spectrum is actually not very good. Your eye is actually much better. G. smithii does have a complex polarization system and sees much further in to the UV. but in terms of color discrimination and acuity, it is not so hot.

Roy

Makes me wonder, is there was any way to replacate the vision of a mantis in glasses and see for ourselves what it is like. When I was a kid they had glasses that replacated a regular preying mantis's vision but I'd like to see a stomatopod's vision first hand as well :bounce1:

I don't think it would be remotely possible for us to imagine or see how a creature with compound eyes sees. Their brains are wired differently and process the incoming information differently than ours do.

I don't think it would be remotely possible for us to imagine or see how a creature with compound eyes sees. Their brains are wired differently and process the incoming information differently than ours do.

Like said, I had glasses when I was a kid that showed me the vision of a regular praying mantis, a bee, an ant, and I think a cricket too.

Its possible, but mantis shrimp can only see certain colors and light spectrums so It makes me wonder if its possible to have glasses that enable us to see that.

You weren't seeing what a mantis/bee/ant would see. Your brain and your non-compound eyes were showing you an image from a set of glasses that probably had a large number of smaller lenses. That has nothing to do with what a creature with compound eyes sees.

I'm pretty sure you could not functionally see while wearing those glasses like a creature with compound eyes. It's too bad they teach kids junk science like this.

Actually, it showed all these different colors and the glasses where all divided (looked like they were made of diamonds) for the compound eyes. Of course my brain didn't function like I would be able to identify what is what like the insect would but it seemed pretty accurate when reading about insect visions.

Really neat pic of the "pupil". One thing that comes to mind that uses the same technique is the traffic light sensor; it has a tube that points at oncoming cars, and only when the headlights are shining down the tube do the lights change.

Back