How this Geezer thinks the hobby will evolve

I don't know if there is much calling for that. But I don't even know what it is so what do I know? :lol2:

Well reefing, pretty much no use for N crassa, as a research organism though it's fantastic for genetics.

A fishes diet should be about 1/4 oil but it never is because fish oil goes bad in the presence of oxygen. This alone, I feel will keep fish in breeding condition and free of most diseases.

1st-I like reading your threads as you have a very interesting perspective on the hobby.

But on to this food thing, Don't they sell over the counter 'fish oil' gel cap pills to humans? Would it be possible to 'dose' you fish food with these just prior to feeding to help give them a healthy-er diet?

I have never read the ingredients on those things so maybe it would do more harm than good, but just a thought I had :hmm5:

Don't they sell over the counter 'fish oil' gel cap pills to humans? Would it be possible to 'dose' you fish food with these just prior to feeding to help give them a healthy-er diet?

Yes they do, I take it myself and I put it on any dry food I put in my tank like pellets.
It seems to work, but besides that I really like the benefits of live food such as worms.

There are hundreds of uninhabited Islands and Atolls especially in the South Pacific. I have been to a few of them in Tahiti. No people, just palm trees, turtles and fish.
They are all over the place. The Governments who own them, I am sure would gladly welcome someone to use them for something so they can make some revenue.

Talk to the Brits.....one could believe they own everything out there.

I see your idea, and welcome the product, however for a gov't to invest in infrastructure on an uninhabited island, you'll need something else other then a couple of reef geeks who want cool livestock. Find some oil or scope out an endless supply of Tuna, and you'll be in business. The simple fact is that when it comes to us hobbyist's, we just don't spend enough money each year to make it worth anyone's time and money to set up shop on an island without water or electricity.

I know a government won't do it. It would have to be a private individual fish geek with money and time.

Paul,

Kickstart... Kickstart the hell out of it, I doubt I am going out on a limb here to say that I and many others would donate to the research and development of the next generation of saltwater systems to come across us. You have the brain for it, use it. We spend crazy amounts of money on our tanks as it is, if I knew my money was going into the hands of someone who obviously has a passion like yours it would be the easiest check I have ever signed.

If I had the same experience you have I would have done the same thing long ago. I know it seems like a far fetched idea... think about it is all I ask.

-Chris

This thread really does have some great ideas and prompted me to quit lurking and post up an idea of my own. Has anybody tried a co2 injected algae scrubber or refugium? It seems like additional co2 would increase the algae's rate of photosynthesis like other plant life and would result in better overall nutrient export.

Just a thought....

Kickstart the hell out of it
The problem is that when we have the energy for these things we are to young and stupid with bills and responsibilities to other people. Now that I have the time, life gets in the way, things like Grand Children and a wife who now has MS.
This is great for a guy in his 30s who is not married and has a great love of the sea.
I was that guy once but at my stage of life I am most likely not going to live on a deserted Island off Tahiti although i would love it.
I am 63 and by the time the thing got started I will probably be senile and woule be eating the fish I raise.

Moody636, I am not sure if that was ever mentioned. It sounds like a good Idea. I know people inject CO2 for bacteria. Go for it.

I took this in a lagoon in Bora Bora, that is our ship in the center. They filmed Mutini on the Bounty here. Fantastic place and a few miles off here are some deserted Islands loaded with moorish Idols, long nose butterflies, and manta rays.
CopyofTahiti047.jpg

It could also be a large wheel made from this material that revolves just fast enough to stay wet.

This sounds like one of those BioWheel things, maybe just put a par38 with warm white over an old hang on side BioWheel. Could run it reverse daylight down on the sump.

A biowheel was for bacterial growth and used the same principal. I was actually just working on the thing, I have the motor and gearing I am just looking for the material to use for the "belt" I would rather not use plastic screen because plastic repels water, at least for a while until it builds up bacteria. I would rather use something like burlap.
It will take a little experimenting but I will get there.

Another thing I am sure will come in the future is sticky epoxy. The stuff they sell has to be used in conjunction with crazy glue, which is just crazy. We just need sticky epoxy. I don't have the time or I would experiment with the stuff.

All of the rocks should be on a few pylons that suspend it just above the substrait. My reef is almost like that now. It looks great, the animals can maneuver all over the place and will feel secure under there and there will be no impact on the substrait or water movement.

Paul, first I always enjoy your posts. Great stuff on all fronts.

Second, would you mind posting a pic or two of your current pylons?
If you can't really see them how about just a description.

I am planning on moving in this general direction.
Please note any aspects which you like or might want to do differently.

For my reef I used some more or less flat base rocks about 4" tall and used them like legs for the larger rocks on top. I then back filled with sand.
I regret using that much sand now and am very slowly removing most of it.

I'm also wondering if you think there is an ideal height for the "gap".

:beer: Stu

GBear, thank you. This is what is under my reef now.
IMG_1165.jpg

This is it under construction.
IMG_1154.jpg

These other pieces are also under there holding it up.

IMG_1006.jpg

You can't see any of these things in the tank, no matter how hard you look because they are covered in coraline algae and corals but you can see just about everything under the rocks all the way to the back which is dark the way I want it.

IMG_2144.jpg

This all looks like it is all sitting on the substrait, but very little of it actually is. My goal is to have none of it touching the gravel.

IMG_2146.jpg

Paul, very impressive. Looks like something anyone could manage without special tools and yet looks like as good as anything I have seen like it.
I'm doing it.
:thumbsup:

More questions however.

What type of concrete did you use and is it alwasys dark when wet?

Also what did you do to rough it up. I'm guessing you just sort of messed with it till it looked irregular and without finger or tool marks.

Did it crack at all when our loaded it up?

Pipe wise I see what looks like normal pvc, electrial conduit and what is the clear stuff is it acrylic rod?

Thanks again.
Stu

Yes, PVC and some clear rod, anything inert. I cover the bent PVC with cotton string like a bakery uses. Just wrap it on there tight because concrete will not stick to PVC.

You must heat and bend the PVC outdoors with the wind away from you or it will sicken you real quick, trust me on this. Drill a lot of holes in the pipe also for water flow, the inside is great for growing bacteria. Much of my rock is built like this as I like it better than the real rock I collected in the Caribbean and it could be made in any shape and size for pennies.
Just blob the cement on with your fingers, it will take 4 or 5 coats over a few days, not much will stick for the first and second coats, let it cure for 2 days in between coats. Neatness does not count.
The concrete stays wet cement color but it will quickly grow coraling algae. The pieces in my reef even I can't tell which ones I built or collected.

Largehollowrock010.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

Rock-1.jpg

Thanks again Paul.

And I must say that poor piece of PVC sure had a bad day.
Great end result however.

Stu

Led

Led

First of all, I think the idea for this thread is great, Paul!

Regarding LEDs, I think it unwise to say that LEDs are the sole form of lighting that will stand the test of time. Our understanding of light, scientifically, is still quite rudimentary-- its true origin is unknown; yet, widely theorized. If anything may stand the test of time, it is solatubes. Cost effective and efficient lighting will be of paramount importance, I feel. What are your thoughts?

On a whole other note, I believe it is important to hold gene banks not only for humans, but for variations of species between organisms. I fear that before we realize this, it will be too late. Deepwater Horizon has already shown its devastating effects on the Gulf of Mexico. Unfortunately, there isn't much I feel I can do-- humans seem largely determined to consume to the planet's detriment. However, I wish we could save species's genomes, for later re-creation.

I agree that we will as a race destroy our precious oceans. It is an unfortunate fact of life, but I feel a duty as an aquarist to the continuation of these species of marine life. I think your ideas on finding new methodologies is spot on- we must be careful to seek best practices, and this includes research. Your contribution doesn't go unnoticed-- and I appreciate reading about your trials and experiments. I look forward to more posts!

Keep the faith man, and I look forward to reading more!
-Joseph

Back