How this Geezer thinks the hobby will evolve

I think it unwise to say that LEDs are the sole form of lighting that will stand the test of time

LED lighting is the first ever illumination that does not rely on heat to make light.
All other lighting including Sodium, mercury, MH, florescent and incansedcent makes light by heating an element and the majority of energy is lost with the production of heat.
LEDs make light in a totally different manner and I believe that nothing will surpass them in many decades, if at all.
Solatubes don't make light, they just re direct it. That is if we are talking about the same thing. I myself installed solar panels on my roof and that coupled with LEDs are absolutely the least expensive, most renewable source of light as it is free, makes no waste, does not add to global warming and is non polluting.

The home made "rock" in my last picture is the one over the moorish Idol

CopyofDSC00922.jpg

When power costs rise, I don't complain, I do something about it.
000_0003.jpg

We went through substraits, rocks, aquaculture so lets talk about water. There are two choices, ASW ans NSW. I prefer natural but I know most people don't live on the sea. ASW is a good substitute and it seems that fish and corals will live fine in it so I doubt that will change much.
So lets discuss diseases. I feel that fish should not get diseases so we don't have to spend time cureing them. Fish in the sea almost never get sick, because of their immune system. Fish have an amazing immune system, better than ours because the sea is an extention of the fishes circulatory system. Whatever is in the water is in the fish just like whatever we breathe is in us. Every nutrient, chemical, pollutant, virus and bacteria on earth is in the sea, but not in the air we breathe. That is why a fishes immune system is go great. But it only stays great through the proper food. We fail miserably when we feed our fish and try to give them what is easy for us to get but not necessarily the best thing for the fish. Just because they eat it, doesn't mean it will keep their immune system working as good as it needs to. My moorish Idol would eat newspaper if I put clam juice on it.
Fish in great condition spawn. All fish spawn or at least get in spawning condition so that if the conditions were right, they could spawn. A fish must be in it's best condition to spawn because developing eggs is a huge burden on a fish. Eggs could take up a quarter of a fishes weight and they are mostly oil. Most fish have enough trouble just trying to stay alive. If the fish are not in spawning condition, their immune system is not hardly working and they will most likely get sick and have a short life.
My fish don't get sick. "Almost" never and I don't have to quarantine. They also live a long happy life unless they decide that they are so happy and healthy that they jump out. Sick fish don't jump out much because they don't have the energy but healthy ones do. Jumping out is not a sign of sickness, but it could be a sign of health so I don't count jumping out as a fish lost to disease.
My oldest fish now is 18, it is a fireclown and he is breeding.
Most of my fish live forever except for the jumping thing. If a fish gets to large or mean, I give it away either to a hobbiest of a public aquarium.
Anyway, my thoughts on disease is that fish should not get diseases so we don't have to worry about curing them.
I believe that the future food will contain sufficient oil and other nutrients to match the fishes natural diet so that it stays in breeding condition and we can let it's immune system take care of diseases like it is supposed to do.
I have been thinking of an artificial worm. Something like the thing a baker uses to write on cakes. A food could be put in a device that will compress it and it will come out in the tank in long thin strands that resemble worms and have the same nutrients as worms. Most fish should recognize this as food as most fish will eat worms. I feed live blackworms every day and IMO that is the key to keeping the fish in breeding condition so it's immune system will ward off most diseases. I can't think of any other reason why my fish don't get sick. I doubt it is my UG filter.
This "worm" making device could be programmed to dispense "worms" throughout the day in the manner that fish are suposed to eat, all day, not just once or twice.
We have live worms that I said many people can't get and we have frozen mysis. Mysis are an excellent food that incorporate calcium and oil but they unfortunately have a large portion of substance as indijestable shell and head parts with very little meat.
Now remember I am not the God of fish food, rocks, mysis, worms or anything else so does any one have any comments, good or bad?:strange:

Last edited:
Paul, I have considered the concept of auto feeding many times a day but I always get stuck on two issues.
First, I fear that certain fish will basically get nothing as they would be out competed buy the more determined feeders.
Second, I consider it wise to watch them and ensure they are eating. Fun too. I understand you have very healthy fish but I think the point remains valid. Any ideas here?

Just how tiny are these fabricated worms of yours?

Stu

I have always been a big fan of target feeders. Not all fish will eat the same thing so I would custom build feeders for different fish. This video of the baby brine shrimp feeder i my reef is specifically built for mandarins, scooter bleenies and pipefish, but the copperband likes it also.
I feed baby brine every day even though I don't have to due to loads of pods.
Tiny fish or fish with tiny mouths need tiny food.
The worm feeding device (which is not designed yet) would exude "worms" the size of blackworms.
I also use an auto feeder that dispenses fish oil soaked pellets.
When I kept moorish Idols I built a feeder that fed them Fish Oil soaked pellets 4 or 5 times a day and I think that is one reason he lived 5 years and only died in an accident with a bunch of other fish. I personally never just dump food in the tank. I always target feed or use feeders designed for the animals I keep.
I also designed and patented this seahorse feeder, (which is no longer for sale)
http://www.breedersregistry.org/Articles/v4_i3_paul_b/paul_b.htm

harness the power in motion?

harness the power in motion?

Hello Paul,

Love the thread--I enjoy seeing someone working creatively to develop a long-term, stable environment. My favorite part of this hobby is watching the system grow, change and evolve as naturally as possible.

Sorry to go back a bit, but I'd like to add to this thread where I can:

A biowheel was for bacterial growth and used the same principal. I was actually just working on the thing, I have the motor and gearing I am just looking for the material to use for the "belt" I would rather not use plastic screen because plastic repels water, at least for a while until it builds up bacteria. I would rather use something like burlap.
It will take a little experimenting but I will get there.

Why not harness the flow of water to drive the wheel? Couldn't you route some of the overflow from the display, like gravity-feeding a skimmer, for example? Would be nice to use the force of the water, much like the turbine of a damn, instead of adding a pump or motor.

Any limitations to this I am not thinking of?

Thanks for a great thread!

Gordon:frog:

Would be nice to use the force of the water, much like the turbine of a damn, instead of adding a pump or motor.
Thanks for responding. I don't use a sump so I don't have a lot of water preasure to use to turn the belt but it is a novel idea. I already have a very slow geared down pully system to turn the belt which uses about 5 watts. The next thing I am figuring is how to light the thing the most efficient way. It will be LEDs and I want to light both sides at the same time. I may make the bulb myself if I can't find what I want. I have a lot of LEDs laying around or I can buy them. LEDs by themselves are very cheap.
I broke all the bulbs on my boat and soldered in LEDs into the broken bases of the bulbs so I can leave the lights on allthe time without killing the batteries.

Dang!! My hat's off to you!
Gordon, thank you but put your hat back on, it's raining. :worried:

Hi Paul. :wavehand: :beer:

Back to your water/alge grower Idea.

I have a portable fan that is based on the old swamp cooler idea. It has a sump in the bottom and pump that pumps water to a top tray with holes. The water runs down over what looks to be a straw mat. I'm wondering if something like this could work better for your alge growth. Or maybe simpler. Just get rid of the fan and put a light on top. Or do you think it would still be too wet? I got the fan at Wally World some years ago.

Keep the ideas coming.

Crusty, that sounds similar to my DIY chiller that has a fan at the top that draws air through the cascading plates.

IMG_0989.jpg

Nice chiller.

Yes it's the same concept. Their mat sits vertical between two plastic mesh plates to hold it all in place.

So you could possibly just ditch the fan and put a light on it. It might work.

For some reason algae grows much more quickly just at the surface of the water. I know there are less predators there but I think there is more to it. In the tropics, in tide pools hair algae grows very lush just at the tide line. Sally lightfoot crabs explore this area feasting on the stuff. In my reef tank there are many rocks that are just above the water but still wet. Those areas are covered in algae. Also in my tank, just at the surface on the glass is long hair algae that is almost absent in the rest of my tank.

They are reaching for light. Algae is a plant its entire purpose is to seek light. If you had a potted plant in a window where the entire window was covered minus a small hole the plant would grow towards the hole

I was thinking the same thing but I think what Paul is getting at is the algae in his tank seems to be growing better where it's not submerged all the time, like on the tops of his exposed rocks where water periodically splashes on it and on the water line where undulating water only temporally submerges the algae. With an ATS, the algae is constantly submerged by a thin layer of water.

Water kills par. Any amount of water that light has to travel through degrades the intesity of light. Less light = less food. Less food= less growth. This is why algae grows there. It is the most intense point of light. Water has very little to do with algae food. It just needs to be wet to survive. Light is the food and source of growth.

What is to stop these holes in the clay tile from filling with detritus?

Jeff
SDMAS B.O.D Member
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I agree that we will as a race destroy our precious oceans. It is an unfortunate fact of life, but I feel a duty as an aquarist to the continuation of these species of marine life.
-Joseph

When a bird poops in a puddle and kills all the amoebas, micro organisms, etc. etc. etc. in the puddle is that destruction? Man is an animal too.

What is to stop these holes in the clay tile from filling with detritus?
Nothing, but that is why they are facing down and the entrance is smaller than the rest of it.

Any amount of water that light has to travel through degrades the intesity of light.

That is of course true, but if I doubled the amount of light with the algae just under the water I will not double the growth of algae although I will get more of it. I think there is something more going on at the surface of the water than just light. My algae trough is only 1/4" deep but there is much more algae at the interface of the water and air than 1/4" deep. I think algae can get some benefit right from the air.

Thanks to this thread and you Paul, I noticed something interesting this weekend in my sump as I was doing my cleaning.

In my sump, I have a green alage that grows from about a 1/4" below the water line up to just above the surface. This is a bright green alage that dosen't grow anywhere else in the sump, only at the water line and in a few places where water splashes higher up on the sump wall.

It's not hair alage but more of a sheet. It is bright green and I can easily scrape it from the sides. But it dosen't grow anywhere else in the sump or tank. I think your right Paul about something there at the surface more than just the light.

I think your right Paul
Well Crusty, If I rant long enough I should be right at least once :wavehand:
I was actually thinking about this last night and I think I figured it out. Skimate is green and occasionally I have to scrape green slime out of my skimmer tube. It is green because it has a percentage of algae growing in it even though my skimmer is almost dark. I think that is because the skimmer is removing the surface layer of the water, the layer where that scum forms. That stuff is composed of molecules that are both attracted to air and water, they are also acumulating at the surface of the glass interface of the water where your algae is growing. The stuff the skimmer removes is composed of the same surface active chemicals. For some reason, algae loves this stuff and just coincidentially, this morning I built a prototype algae filter that is designed to pick up those molecules and raise them over the tank bathed in air and light in an effort to see how much algae grows. I installed a slow motor on a shaft about 1 1/2" in diameter with a belt made of cotton cloth that revolves up and down in the water, over the shaft and back again. Each revolution takes 3 minutes and due to the cotton belt it will stay wet as it goes around. I will install it today but the LEDs I ordered for it are not here yet so I doubt it will grow anything. I will take some pictures when I get a chance but the idea is to get that film on the surface of the water to be absorbed by the "belt" and be exposed to the light above the water. I feel this will maxamize the way algae can grow. :beachbum:

Back