How this Geezer thinks the hobby will evolve

led hot...

led hot...

[(From The Net:)
Light emitting diodes, commonly called LEDs, are real unsung heroes in the electronics world. They do dozens of different jobs and are found in all kinds of devices. Among other things, they form numbers on digital clocks, transmit information from remote controls, light up watches and tell you when your appliances are turned on. Collected together, they can form images on a jumbo television screen or illuminate a traffic light.

Basically, LEDs are just tiny light bulbs that fit easily into an electrical circuit. But unlike ordinary incandescent bulbs, they don't have a filament that will burn out, and they don't get especially hot. They are illuminated solely by the movement of electrons in a semiconductor material, and they last just as long as a standard transistor. The lifespan of an LED surpasses the short life of an incandescent bulb by thousands of hours. Tiny LEDs are already replacing the tubes that light up LCD HDTVs to make dramatically thinner televisions.[/QUOTE]

then why do the marineland freshwater LED's get so hot... I think over 100 degree F?

THANKS!

Good luck Paul.

My sump actually is lit by NSL. :) ( Natural Sun Light)

And I too see a green gunk in my skimmer cup. But I get a big build up of brown gunk inside the colum feeding the collection cup.

then why do the marineland freshwater LED's get so hot... I think over 100 degree F?
100 degrees is about half of what a regular light bulb gets to. It goes to over 100 degrees here in NY in the summer. That is not very hot.
What sort of LEDs have you ordered Paul?
I found these things on sale, they are an inch and a half square and have 3 LEDs in them. 12 volt. They put out 40 lumins and cost about $2.50 each so I ordered ten of them. I am also going to put them over my algae trough because one of them shorted and melted. These are also waterproof.

Jim, I also broke all the bulbs on my boat and soldered in LEDs in the bulb bases and I installed a strip of waterproof LEDs under my swim platform. Looks really nice at night and I may add a purple or blue one.

100 degrees is about half of what a regular light bulb gets to. It goes to over 100 degrees here in NY in the summer. That is not very hot. I found these things on sale, they are an inch and a half square and have 3 LEDs in them. 12 volt. They put out 40 lumins and cost about $2.50 each so I ordered ten of them. I am also going to put them over my algae trough because one of them shorted and melted. These are also waterproof.

Jim, I also broke all the bulbs on my boat and soldered in LEDs in the bulb bases and I installed a strip of waterproof LEDs under my swim platform. Looks really nice at night and I may add a purple or blue one.

Wouldnt mind having LEDs in my cabin, the little halogen pucks in my boat put out so much heat the AC is rarely off. Just cant find a good replacement.

Now you can buy LED bulbs for much of the stuff on a boat. I would replace those halogen bulbs with LEDs. I have one over the table outside and at night it is so much better than those bright halogens.
They even have LEDs to replace the red and green navigation lights.
I am LED crazy and soon will just have LEDs everyplace that I have lights.

I haven't finished this whole thread but I just had a thought about aquaculturing fish and corals. There is a company (or used to be) that leased a section of the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida to culture live rock. They basically dumped a hole bunch of rocks in there and let them sit. I'm sure many, if most, on here are familiar with the company. Why couldn't the same be done for fish and corals? Seems like that could solve the logistical problems of a deserted atoll in the middle of the pacific, but I suppose the cost of constructing a reef and introducing species and protecting it might be to high. I guess now that I think about it, doing it on a scale to produce enough livestock to be worthwhile would probably be next to impossible. Now that I think about it more, I suppose the water conditions off of Florida probably aren't optimum for tropical marine fish, so probably not a good idea.

Also, my apologies for resurrecting an old thread, followed the link from one of Paul's other threads.

the big benefit to LED as it pertains to reefs and heat is that they don't emit much heat down into the tank. Put your hand under a MH vs an LED and you'll notice the difference. They do however create heat through the electrical circuits they are mounted to, which is why they need big heatsinks/ fans. This also makes them more efficient users of electricity, another obvious benefit.

I haven't finished this whole thread but I just had a thought about aquaculturing fish and corals. There is a company (or used to be) that leased a section of the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida to culture live rock. They basically dumped a hole bunch of rocks in there and let them sit. I'm sure many, if most, on here are familiar with the company. Why couldn't the same be done for fish and corals? Seems like that could solve the logistical problems of a deserted atoll in the middle of the pacific, but I suppose the cost of constructing a reef and introducing species and protecting it might be to high. I guess now that I think about it, doing it on a scale to produce enough livestock to be worthwhile would probably be next to impossible. Now that I think about it more, I suppose the water conditions off of Florida probably aren't optimum for tropical marine fish, so probably not a good idea.

Also, my apologies for resurrecting an old thread, followed the link from one of Paul's other threads.

I believe the largest problem with the concept is transportation. As it is, transport is a huge part of the expense of any organism. It's a make or break issue even if the airport is on another side of the island from collection.

Transportation from some 'deserted atoll' that doesn't already have an international airport (many deserted atolls don't :) ) would make this a no go from the start.

It's very hard to reply to this thread because I forgot what I wrote in the first place and I don't want to read the 90 posts already here. But you are correct shipping is the problem with any idea of farming these animals. The creatures we house are practically free at their point of collection. I have seen lookdowns sell for 50 cents a pound which sell here in NY for about $100.00 each. I think that was on St Lucia.
Natives put a large baited trap in the sea and it fills with fish. They sell them right on the sand as food, the rest of the dead fish are thrown back into the sea. They are just a survival thing in those places as many of the people have nothing else to eat and no money to buy anything. They use either fish or large land hermit crabs for bait. They don't have refrigeration so they have to sell the fish very fast or they rot.
I would imagine a copperband butterfly would be less than a US dollar. But then ship a gallon of water from the South Pacific to a US wholesaler and that copperband now becomes $15.00. Half of them die in transport so now it becomes $30.00.
The store needs to make 50% profit on it because half of his fish die either in transit or in his store so now that copperband is $60.00. And none of those, in between people are getting rich on this.
There are very few wealthy pet shop owners as there is a huge loss.
If one of his $100.00 French Angels die, he has to sell a huge amount of fish to re coup the $50.00 he paid for it. Plus all of his tanks are heated and lit, a huge sum of money for electricity. Imagine if he has just fifty tanks, and they all have a 50 watt heater. That's 2,500 watts just to heat those small tanks, not counting light, pumps, food, insurance and salaries.

At my work we use a slotted steel production liner to remove oil from sand. The slots are like an elongated pyramid in shape, with the top of the pyramid on the O.D. on the pipe. The opening itself is ~1" long and .016" wide. The slot on the bottom, or I.D., or the pipe is 0.024". It is used to create a small accretion area on the outside of the pipe, but still allow fluid transfer. If a billion dollar operation uses it, the same idea should work for allowing fluid movement, but restricting sand entry into the lower zone.

Good thinking Paul.

[(From The Net:)
Light emitting diodes, commonly called LEDs, are real unsung heroes in the electronics world. They do dozens of different jobs and are found in all kinds of devices. Among other things, they form numbers on digital clocks, transmit information from remote controls, light up watches and tell you when your appliances are turned on. Collected together, they can form images on a jumbo television screen or illuminate a traffic light.

Basically, LEDs are just tiny light bulbs that fit easily into an electrical circuit. But unlike ordinary incandescent bulbs, they don't have a filament that will burn out, and they don't get especially hot. They are illuminated solely by the movement of electrons in a semiconductor material, and they last just as long as a standard transistor. The lifespan of an LED surpasses the short life of an incandescent bulb by thousands of hours. Tiny LEDs are already replacing the tubes that light up LCD HDTVs to make dramatically thinner televisions.

say it ain't so Paul!

Supermodel, say what ain't so? I didn't say anything on this thread in 3 months, but I do a lot of talking in other places, probably to much.

Which one of my posts were taken from the web?
I didn't write that last post you quoted.
Did you drink anything last night? I know some Supermodels drink a little to much. :celeb3:
I come up with my own material. :wavehand:

OK, good, I was hoping I didn't get senile and write something that some one else said.
Thanks FishroomladySupermodel

Back