How to capture/catch clownfish in a tank

Have you ever seen the Acclimate by Reef Gently? I just caught a super hard fish to catch, a Blue Tang, and it took less than two minutes. Not only is it easy, but a lot more stress free than nets, etc. Plus, you can use it to acclimate, transport and catch all the bristle worms you have.

I'm constantly amazed how trusting tank-rased ocellaris clowns are. I can practically reach in and grab them with my hand (not that I would...) The clear container trick works great: Food in the container, clown follows. One of mine has gill parasites. So catching him for a FW dip was a no-brainer.

Any good links for clown gill parasite info?
I needed to move an Ocellaris today, so I DID reach in and scoop him up with both hands. No fuss, no muss; I've done this many times. They like to swim into your hand, just bring the other hand on and keep covered during the transfer.

IME, clowns have been the easy fish to catch. I have never had to pull all the live rock to catch one, unlike some of the others. My Niger trigger is a beast to catch. It hide in the smallest crevis and lock it dorsal fin in to the rock.

Catching a clown fish is always a challenge for me. Especially with LR and the beloved caves.. This writeup hopefully will change all of this for me!

I tried everything when trying to catch my pair of clowns, I was finally able to scoop them up with zero issues in the middle of the night while they were sleeping. I don't even think they woke up until the day after.

Just took out another set of clowns.. these guys didnt fall for the fish trap and obviously couldn't net them..

I took out 1/3 the rock structure on the left side of the tank.. I have a egg crate tank divider I made a while back.. when the clowns traveled to the left side of the tank, i simply used the divider and blocked them from going back into the rock structures.. after that, netting them was real easy.

I use the anemone in a container technique but putting a clear container in the tank and egging the clowns into it with my hand works just as well. I tell people I'm going fishing, as wacky as it sounds

I got lucky... when transferring things out of my cracked 90 to the poly tub, I was able to drain everything down to 1/2" of water. The clown was still as hard to get as the chromis.

reading this thread makes clowns sound like apista (sp?) probably be easier to drop an extension cord in the tank. Once I get my tank up and going the clowns will stay till they die.

I had to take out my Clarkii clown after it went on a killing spree. I go in thinking he's been so good and is used to hands being in the tank that he'll be ok. Boy was I wrong! Runner, hider, you name it. So, I wound up rearranging my entire tank. Took 10 minutes to finally catch him

I like clownfish - gr8t information. New to all this so any help would greatly appreciated.
I have a 40 gal tank with live rock and sand, canister filter, power head, heater.
Questions: What other fish can I have in the tank with clownfish? How many?

I've always had bad luck catching fish. I had to take out all of my rock and catch them that way.
I tried the clear soda bottle and clear plastic container with no luck

i had 2 successful catches on this - big mouth plastic bowl, while holding it soaked at the top of the tank (leave it for around 2 mins before putting flakes), scatter flakes on top of the mouth of the bowl, then the clowns will go after the flakes (now he's inside the bowl mouth at least) - then scoop the bowl up!

Back