How to capture/catch clownfish in a tank

I have a very good technique that gets clowns out in about 30 mins! Has worked multiple times.

Basically, you use a large egg crate divider and split your tank into a third and make sure the clowns are in the smaller divided section. Next you move some of your rocks from the smaller third to the larger (or to a container if you don't have space in your tank)... Now make that divided section smaller and continue to trap the clowns. Next I use another egg crate and box them into a corner. Next grab your net!

My clownfish is the best runner in the world. I have been trying to get him out for a month now. Nothing works traps, nets, he uses a massive anemone and the rocks to hide and run.

Just realized that this post is 10 years old. That said, I wish I knew this a long time ago!

Good stuff and thanks to the OP for the tip.

The method I like to use is I place my head in the tank open my mouth and wait my clownfish eventually swims in 60% of the time it works every time.

When I needed to move them I placed a clear two liter bottle at the bottom (I would hold it) and would hold a few flakes of fish food between my index and thumb. The fish would eat out of my fingers as they always do with flakes and I slowly raised the container. It was not stressful on my Clown fish pair and it was easy for me.

I've caught all sorts of fish using (borrowing) a clear plexiglass trap from my LFS. The door has a string on it so all I do is put some mysis inside the box which lies on the floor of the tank. Once the fish swims in the string is let go and the door shuts. There are different sizes of these boxes and I have caught everything from wrasses to tangs. Each time there was very little visible stress on the fish. Just my $0.02.

Well all of you are lucky I guess ??? I have a monster 4" Tomatoe Clown, that can draw blood !!! He, of course is a runner. If I stick my hand in, he comes for me,,, add a net or speciman container and he's out of there !!! I thought that I would try to either put a net over him and the rose, while he's asleep, or maybe try to slip a large fish bag over them ???? I was concerned about scaring it to death !!! He's a real pain, has become hyper dominant, it's a wonder that he hasn't torn my Rosebud apart, he's really rough on it, he messes with my Yellow Tang, and kicks up the substrate ALL THE TIME. Maybe that's why my corals are all doing so good ????? I have even thought of trying to catch him with a small barbless flyhook !!!! Anyway, mine's not peaceful and has become quite the rogue !!!! This fish takes food(krill) right from the mouthes of other fish for himself and the anemone !!!! Anyway, I want him gone !!!

sounds like u have a hell of a rogue on your hands "¦ the hook has worked for me on my sand sifting goby"¦ what i would suggest is to scare the other fishes away and then use the hook "¦ hooks have done me well and don't worry about the damage"¦ guessing from your avatar i think u know very well when to set the hook.. i used berkley invisi braid"¦ for me i simply tighten the line when he starts tugging.. after that the clownfish should be swished in a dip of breadcrumbs and beaten egg(this is said to reduce stress),, after that simply lay on a pan already pre garnished with olive oil and butter.(the heat reduces stress)"¦ after that you know what to do to the little monster(this part is said to reduce stress and calm the reefer)

I like clownfish - gr8t information. New to all this so any help would greatly appreciated.
I have a 40 gal tank with live rock and sand, canister filter, power head, heater.
Questions: What other fish can I have in the tank with clownfish? How many?

It really depends. I would recommend looking at what you like, what its tank size requirements are, and what else you want to have. Also, it depends what kind of clownfish you want. Some, like Maroons are aggressive, but perculas are not. Once you find the one you want, look and see what its tank history is by doing some research. Then look at a compatibility chart and see what houses best. Compare that to your tank size and your ability to meet that animal's needs.

Yesterday I caught two Clownfishes using the tactics of the night. I turned on the aisle light away from the aquarium, so I could barely see them. With a large net I managed to catch them and put them in a box of acrylic. You have to have a big patience in the process. No rush, no Damages.

Totally dark and using a red light works every time. The last 3 times I have actually caught the fish with my bare hand,

I guess my clowns are dumb. Mine swim around the top of the tank and I just scoop them up with a net. They dont even really try to swim away.... I've had to catch them 3 times since I got them and they have been by far the easiest fish ive ever owned to catch.

Uh...Mine is mean. I scrub my acrylic with a kitchen sponge with a nylon net around it. I can dip the corner of the sponge in the water and he will relentlessly attack it. I can simply pull him out of the water that way.

Uh...Mine is mean. I scrub my acrylic with a kitchen sponge with a nylon net around it. I can dip the corner of the sponge in the water and he will relentlessly attack it. I can simply pull him out of the water that way.

Mine do the same thing ,they are mean as well but pretty easy to caught

Back