How to catch a chromis?

Recife

I tried this post in another forum before and didn't have luck with replies.
I'm looking for suggestions on how to catch a chromis in a big deep (30") tank that has a lot of hiding spots. I tried everything I could think of.
I'll consider options that will even kill the fish. I just really need to get it out of my tank to clear it from an ich infection. It's the only fish left, but I have a lot of inverts and corals.

i belive they make a fish trap that you can buy online or at a local petstore, Never used one though.

jd

Get a large square fish net and cut off the handle of it. Tie fishing line to all 4 corners and bring all lines into 1 so when you bury the net under the sand and pull it up it will be level. After you bury the net wait an hour or two so the fish forgets about it and place some frozen food or something that it will eat, over the hidden net and pull u8p really fast as soon as the fish swims low enough over it. You have to be very fast because they will swim right out of it. It worked for me.

I have had a fish in my tank since it was new, 9 months, aggressive......and I haven't been able to catch him yet! I've tried traps, nets, bottles, shop vacs, you name it but I've never caught him, he is the smatest fish I know!:lol:

It may take a few trys but it really does work. If you can't get it in a few trys then wait a day to try it again. After a while the fish gets smart and stays hidden.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7509449#post7509449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shoddyk
After a while the fish gets smart and stays hidden.

Yeah.....If I even get close to the tank he's gone! Buried in his own little Live rock paradise:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7509298#post7509298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reeforbust
I have had a fish in my tank since it was new, 9 months, aggressive......and I haven't been able to catch him yet! I've tried traps, nets, bottles, shop vacs, you name it but I've never caught him, he is the smatest fish I know!:lol:

or... the fish is smarter then you... MAHAHAHAHAHHAH

sorrry.. said with luv :)

Good luck on getting that bugger out.

get a very small hook and bend the barb down. put some food on it and toss it in. make sure sure you dont catch the other fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7509871#post7509871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by z_rivers
get a very small hook and bend the barb down. put some food on it and toss it in. make sure sure you dont catch the other fish.

That just feeds the fish..........My wife thought I was crazy with that one!!

I even bought the 3 sided hooks and tried to spear him with it.....:eek1: :p

shoddyk, that idea sounds promising. I will give it a shot.
I got this close many times to catching it, but always failed in the end. Damn chromis!!

Lower the water level to 6 inches, dig a deep well in a corner, keep lowering the water level all the way if need be. Fish will go to the well. Net fish. Pump water back in rapidly, put fish in tank with some of tank water.

Corals and inverts are not harmed by 5-10 minutes out of water. Fish are not stressed by this procedure. Just use a big horse pump to make sure the water goes in and out in a speedy fashion. Brute tubs will preserve your water quality during this procedure, but stand by to test and buffer your water after this procedure. Buffer first, then test for calcium, et al.

miy chromis comes up to the surface whenever i get near. i think he got used to me pouring formula one/two flakes from the cup. often times, i have to be careful of them jumping into the cup lol.

one of this months articles is specifically on your question. The article went over quite a few methods of catching a fish, some I'd never heard of. You should read it, it may give you a solution better than tearing your tank to pieces to catch it, which I have done twice now.

When I had a sleeper goby that I had to get out of my tank beacuse he was harassing my new Jawfish, what I did that worked the first time was put some of there regular food in to the net and then slowly lowered it as close to the fishes normal hiding spot and held it there very still for a couple minutes until the goby came out and smelt the food and went straight in to the net.

Back