How to clean sand ???

Curtis1

Hello, I just bought a set-up and tore it down. The sand smelled like sewer. How's the best way to clean it ????

Well,lots of folks in the hobby replace the sand after a move.
But that can be quite expensive with a 180 gallon tank.
I would just keep rinsing it out and soaking it with ro water and then spread it out on a tarp and let it dry in the sun.

Personally. I would not use it. start with new sand and use a cup "mature" sand from a reputable LFS or fellow reefer to seed it. This will take any guesswork out of potential problems down the road.

My 2 cents

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14830858#post14830858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltydude
Go barebottom

More like Blah-bottom:) Just kidding, but i really prefer the look or sand in a tank.

I would say it depends on just how bad it is. If its got black clumps and stuff like that. I wouldn't use it if it were me.

I like sand as well, but I had to many problems with it. It is now being covered with star polyps so it is a shag carpet of sorts. Going retro:)

If it's really bad (black clumps, etc...) just soak it in some bleach water for a spell, then follow the rinse/bucket method, spread it out to dry, and you should be as good as new sand.

Thanks everyone. There were no black clumps or anything that bad. The walkthru at Melevs, was pretty much what I was going to try to do. I have also been thinking of going BB, but like the look of the sand better, and just hated to throw it away.

I run it through a plastic spaghetti strainer to pull out all the crushed coral, shells, bark, ect. Then put it into a container with some bleach water and let it soak for a day. Remove, rinse, and dry out. Sand is better then new.

Back