How to Host new true percula to new carpet anemone?!

Wolverine18

Hey everyone,
Recently I bought Carpet anemone (Stichodactyla haddoni maybe?! Idk please help me identify it from picture attached) 3 days back. Yesterday I bought new true percula clownfish. The clownfish is all settled in right away, started eating next day of purchase. Now, I am not sure if this true percula can host this anemone or not. Please someone suggest if it can host or not. If it can, how do I make it host this anemone?!
762d661d294657ff87f64ddd6104bf88.jpg
18a05bcd05be2a4a9a3f9ca0834f601d.jpg
7e7b67245a0eb39aa350b6394a237016.jpg
9b52e7794e6700596db80901c4ff4b3b.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

First thing first, the anemone is the host, not the clown fish.

S. haddoni is not one of the natural host of A. percula. The only two natural host of A. percula are H. magnifica and S. Gigantea, maybe H. cryspa. Becasue of this reason, you did not see the Percula jump right into the Haddoni.

IME with keeping Haddoni and Percula, the Percula will go into the Haddoni after a fairly short amount of time, a lot better odd than with BTA. Give him some time, he will go into the Haddoni.

First thing first, the anemone is the host, not the clown fish.

S. haddoni is not one of the natural host of A. percula. The only two natural host of A. percula are H. magnifica and S. Gigantea, maybe H. cryspa. Becasue of this reason, you did not see the Percula jump right into the Haddoni.

IME with keeping Haddoni and Percula, the Percula will go into the Haddoni after a fairly short amount of time, a lot better odd than with BTA. Give him some time, he will go into the Haddoni.
Dear sir,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Also,can you please confirm if it's haddoni only or some other carpet anemone?
Should I force my percula into the anemone like some vids that I watched on YouTube about hosting percula into anemone?
For now, it just swims randomly into the tank and sleeps at the surface near my filter.
Is it possible that it will never host my anemone?!

Your anemone is an Haddoni Carpet. They do have very strong sting and can kill and eat clown fish that is not acclimated to it. DO NOT FORCE your clown fish into it or you may loose the clown. Be patient and he will eventually will go into it.

Your anemone is an Haddoni Carpet. They do have very strong sting and can kill and eat clown fish that is not acclimated to it. DO NOT FORCE your clown fish into it or you may loose the clown. Be patient and he will eventually will go into it.
Okay sir, thank you for your replies![emoji51][emoji3577]

I have had some percula accepting BTA pretty quickly, others after a few months, while some never took them. But so far none of my percula ever accepted a haddoni.
Interestingly, I have right now a Philippine maroon that took on a haddoni as host.
Ultimately you will only know after you tried.
Generally I think that anemonefish are quite flexible in their choice of hosts as long as they get them delivered to their doorstep without the need to travel predator infested waters.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have had some percula accepting BTA pretty quickly, others after a few months, while some never took them. But so far none of my percula ever accepted a haddoni.
Interestingly, I have right now a Philippine maroon that took on a haddoni as host.
Ultimately you will only know after you tried.
Generally I think that anemonefish are quite flexible in their choice of hosts as long as they get them delivered to their doorstep without the need to travel predator infested waters.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
You mentioned " you will know only after you have tried". Is there anything particular that I should do to see if it's hosting or not?

most people recommend not to keep anemones until tank has been set up for 6 month. but haddoni is fairly easy so u should be fine. haddoni anemones love lights.

most people recommend not to keep anemones until tank has been set up for 6 month. but haddoni is fairly easy so u should be fine. haddoni anemones love lights.
How often to feed this anemone? I read once in a week should be fine.

feed it once a month with clean frozen food. when your tank matures, u can feed it once every 2 weeks. make sure u have the enough light or your anemone wont do well long term.

You mentioned " you will know only after you have tried". Is there anything particular that I should do to see if it's hosting or not?

The only thing that might speed up the acceptance of the anemone could be another fish bullying the anemonefish. But that isn't really a good idea if the anemonefish has so far not shown any interest in the anemone.
Patience is really the best way.
But I wouldn't hold my breath for a percula accepting a haddoni as host. I have 6 pairs of percula and none of them has ever shown the slightest interest in a haddoni, and I certainly tried. On the other hand, they rather quickly accepted LPS, green star polyps, mushrooms, and the likes as surrogates. Some also accepted BTA, malu, and crispa as hosts. I'm also quite sure that most would take on an LTA.
The fastest they usually accept red ceramic flowerpots as anemone surrogates.

My female percula was quite happy in her feather duster for months before she discovered the LTA that was 6 inches away. One day she realized the anemone was there and switched loyalties in a half hour.

My female percula was quite happy in her feather duster for months before she discovered the LTA that was 6 inches away. One day she realized the anemone was there and switched loyalties in a half hour.

Sounds like the story of my percula pair #4 - for months they ignored the 2 small rainbow BTAs I had parked in their tank and stayed happily in their GSP overgrown flowerpot. Then one morning I found them in the BTAs. I kind of wish they had stuck to their pot as the female lost most of her black and the BTAs are suffering badly...

Hello everyone! Want to keep you guys updated!
I added hammer Corals yesterday and today my true percula started going into it. I think she loved it and maybe start hosting it soon. I think for now she's just testing it, going into it for some time and returning back to its filter home. What do you guys think? Will it host?
Link: https://youtu.be/_qUdNKzeHFo

Update:
My true percula now stays in hammer Corals all time. Sleeps there too now. Feeds it too. [emoji51]

Back