How to lower my water temp

BlwnBuick

Now that its getting hotter and hotter so is my water temp
where the tank is located in our house is a new addition to the house so the air ducts don't reach the room. I took the heater out of the tank about s month ago and the temp hasn't dropped the water temp was very close to 90* once I noticed we have since then stopped opening the window to that room and the temp has dropped to low 80's. Starting to out of 3 of my corals. :(

It is very easy to use a fan and blow the air across the top of the water to cool it. You will have to keep an eye on the tank and be sure to top it off for what will evaporate. If you have a sump put a fan or two over it and it will help a great deal. If no sump you can put fans on the DT. HTH

i have one fan blowing over my sump, and an extra one for the DT just in case the temps start to rise, right now they aren't too bad, but my house stays under 80

I run my lights at night and leave them off during the day. It really does help but then again you cant enjoy your tank during the day. But i was get home at midnight or so anyways. :)

Steffen Sparks

BlwnBuick, any progress on lowering your water temp? We haven't heard anything here about this. Tell us all about it and let us know what you tried and or if it worked for you.

even with the 100+ weather my tank has stayed 80 and lower with just one fan on the sump area. i am really happy with just the fan.

My tanks were also heating up to 90++ however directing fans to skim the tops of the tank and lighting system has helped to stabilize the temperature

I'm doing pretty good this summer so far with water temp. Only getting up to about 80 degrees at the hottest point to the day. Last year I had to use the fan on the sump method to keep it down. Hopefully, my luck will hold this year.

Ok its me BlwnBuick sorry for the name change but i couldnt get back into my accnt???
Anyways since my last post we have kept the window to the room closed and keep the Air on all day and also added a fan in the room and the temp has dropped down from 90+ to 83 and goes up to like 85 mid day.
Since then all my corals died tho :( didnt have many at all just 4 but still sucks esp since the Zoa was the first coral i added and was getting HUGE.

What is the temp supposed to be at anyways? I need to go get the fans u all are talking about to put on the tank
Thanks

i use a computer fan. you can pick them up at radio shack. just use your imagination and skills to mount them anyway you like.

i think the constants 100+ days and the little bit of humidity has caused my tank to jump to 86 when i get home. i hate swamp coolers. i will prob be installing the second fan this weekend over the DT.

I keep my tank between 78 to 80. If you do not have a fan right now point one of your power heads at the surface this will help keep your temp down. Like others have mentioned keep an eye on evaporation and keep up with water top off.

I will repoint my power heads and see what that does, Ill also go pick up some fans from radio shack. How many should i get? Its a 125gal
Thanks

I will repoint my power heads and see what that does, Ill also go pick up some fans from radio shack. How many should i get? Its a 125gal
Thanks

Problem fixed :) Spoke to Daniel @ The Coral Reef and he told me to just leave open glass tops open at all times and it worked!!!! my temp is back down to 78* and its stable.
I shoulda mention i had them closed since the first post. My bad.
Also he told me that the corals probly died because my salt levels were way to high.
I already did 2 5gal water changes w/o salt to try and lower it so im hoping that fixed it.
Thanks for all the input guys. I will still be picking up some fans just incase.

oh yeah open top all the way, if you have jumper fish use a screen or eggcrate for the top, so they don't carpet surf

Problem fixed :) Spoke to Daniel @ The Coral Reef and he told me to just leave open glass tops open at all times and it worked!!!!
That is good news. Fans will help alot with stabilizing your temp as well as your CO2 levels.

Also, make sure you test your salinity especially before you do your top offs. I learned and found out that my pets were p!!ssed at me because my SG went from 1.027 down to 1.022 after doing a top off. This was a while back but learned to do a half and half (RO/DI water and salt mix water) ratio to keep the SG at the same levels when I do my top offs. Hope this helps and good luck.

That is good news. Fans will help alot with stabilizing your temp as well as your CO2 levels.

Also, make sure you test your salinity especially before you do your top offs. I learned and found out that my pets were p!!ssed at me because my SG went from 1.027 down to 1.022 after doing a top off. This was a while back but learned to do a half and half (RO/DI water and salt mix water) ratio to keep the SG at the same levels when I do my top offs. Hope this helps and good luck.

Awesome thanks

Back