How to put a fish to sleep (euthanize)

567234ta

I didn't see anything in the stickies about this and a recent thread of a fish being caught by a Haddoni made me think of it so i just thought id share the info.
To humanely put a fish to sleep you can use Finquel Aquatic Anesthetic
or in a emergency situation you can use clove oil available at most healthfood stores or walmart pharmacy.
Mix the clove oil very well into water in a container to euthanize the fish.
i am pretty sure 20 drops or more per gallon of water will do it. Someone may know better than me though as how much to use, i mainly have used it for Koi anesthesia not for euthanizing. I did have to put down a large fancy goldfish and i used 7.4ml in about 3 gallons with very fast results. they just go to sleep peacefully and don't wake up.

Unlike flushing or putting in a bag to freeze, they suffocate which is pretty bad suffering. If you have ever nearly drowned or took a breath under water it's about like that for them.
I get attached to my fish because they are not mindless drones, my Vlamingi who is a foot long and my yellow tang snuggle at night up against each other.
They recognize me vs other people, many signs that they have pretty good intelligence. Probably smarter than most dogs LOL, certainly smarter than my dogs anyways .

how to euthanize a fish....

1Beat egg in shallow dish or pie pan until well blended. Stir in milk. Place flour in another shallow dish. Dip fish in egg mixture; dip in flour to coat.
2Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add fish; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and fish flakes easily with fork, turning once. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.

too soon?

Small fish can be dispatched by getting them in a net and simply slamming it against a hard surface. Larger fish are better frozen in water, or meet the cleaver, or mallet. I have never seen the need to use chemicals in my years in the business- I feel that an animal should be instantly killed. It is less pleasent for us, to be sure, and I do understand that aspect.

Now when you try to equate a human drowning to a fish death- you are way off base. In humans and other higher animals- drowning is and emotional situation, not just the suffocation. Cold blooded animals do not feel terror as the temp drops, or at any other time.

Depending on size and species:

MS222
Clove oil
mallet or cleaver to sever the vertebrae
Electricity though I wouldn't recommend this for safety reasons.
Freezing temperatures

I've always put them in a bowl of water in the freezer, hoping that was a pretty peaceful way to go. Also do my very sick corals that way, when they are beyond hope. haven't heard of the clove oil...

I am a veterinarian. I don't treat fish though, other than my own. I haven't looked recently but freezing is generally consider a humane way to do it. I think the mallet or cleaver method would also be acceptable. I have not heard of the clove oil and do not know what the mechanism of action would be. I have never read anything on the relative intelligence or self awareness of these creatures.

Mc

I didn't see anything in the stickies about this and a recent thread of a fish being caught by a Haddoni made me think of it so i just thought id share the info.
To humanely put a fish to sleep you can use Finquel Aquatic Anesthetic
or in a emergency situation you can use clove oil available at most healthfood stores or walmart pharmacy.
Mix the clove oil very well into water in a container to euthanize the fish.
i am pretty sure 20 drops or more per gallon of water will do it. Someone may know better than me though as how much to use, i mainly have used it for Koi anesthesia not for euthanizing. I did have to put down a large fancy goldfish and i used 7.4ml in about 3 gallons with very fast results. they just go to sleep peacefully and don't wake up.

Unlike flushing or putting in a bag to freeze, they suffocate which is pretty bad suffering. If you have ever nearly drowned or took a breath under water it's about like that for them.
I get attached to my fish because they are not mindless drones, my Vlamingi who is a foot long and my yellow tang snuggle at night up against each other.
They recognize me vs other people, many signs that they have pretty good intelligence. Probably smarter than most dogs LOL, certainly smarter than my dogs anyways .

I appreciate you posting this...have never heard of clove oil being used before but will keep it in mind...the freezing method, while effective, always bothered me as it takes a while and I am not into the suffering I assumed came with it...I have since read that there is no suffering via that method but, need be, I think I would try the clove oil method...are you fairly certain of the dosage you mentioned and does it need to be adjusted for larger fish? Thanks again, TK

Clove oil is a mild anesthetic. It has been used for centuries as an aid for toothaches. I would assume though it would act as well as a surficant-and thus would also suffocate the fish somewhat by coating the gills. I have to wonder if this thread is an advertisment for Finquel however- since the originator has not responded. In any case, I would avoid chemicals.

Koi and goldfish are sleeping at the bottom of my frozen pond right now-there is no terror involved. In the spring they will awaken unscathed- or if it freezes too hard- they wont. No cold blloded animal suffers from having the temp drop to lethal level. They just slow down.

Koi and goldfish are sleeping at the bottom of my frozen pond right now-there is no terror involved. In the spring they will awaken unscathed- or if it freezes too hard- they wont. No cold blloded animal suffers from having the temp drop to lethal level. They just slow down.

An excellent point...never considered this...

I place a glass of vodka in the freezer and let it get freezer temp. It shouldn't freeze. Then I just drop the sick fish in. Between the ice cold temperature and the vodka, the death appears instantaneous. That's the way i've always do it.

FB

I've always cleaved with a machete or butcher knife if they are small. Im sure the other methods are a more gentle and less gruesome approach.

Clove oil is a mild anesthetic. It has been used for centuries as an aid for toothaches. I would assume though it would act as well as a surficant-and thus would also suffocate the fish somewhat by coating the gills. I have to wonder if this thread is an advertisment for Finquel however- since the originator has not responded. In any case, I would avoid chemicals.

No it's not an advertisement LOL The point of this thread is quite clear i thought, peoples fish get sick beyond saving, they don't know what to do with them, so they flush them or throw them away in a bag because they don't really know any other way. I consider my fish my pets, fairly intelligent like any animal. I wouldn't take a clever to my cat to put it out of its misery, so i wont do it to my fish either. It's not just for the fish but for myself and knowing i did all i could to make it as comfortable as possible. This is the responsible reefkeeping section, not the sushi bar.

I had to "put down" my blue green chromis (major ich attack) today, just grabbed a net and a little mallet. I didn't like to have to do it even in this manner but seemed more "humane" than a sort of "slow death."

Back