How will the new CA mandates affect reefers in the state?

Actually we do have access in some areas for clean and as good of filtered SW as you could possibly get.
Scripps pier/Birch aquarium allows us to take as much filtered SW as we could possibly want.
This comes from the same filtration system they use on their aquariums at Birch.
Many do use this, just depends on how far you are and fuel cost or which is more practical.
It has to be adjusted slightly for Alk and salinity, but it's definitely a good option.

I think the water is likely cleaner than you think. Obviously you have to use some common sense like don't collect at low tide, after rain (which apparently isn't an issue for you guys these days) or on the weekends, but for the most part there are a lot of people who collect and report a great improvement in the health of their livestock. (This article may explain some of that. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/) In fact my current upgrade is being designed to store a months supply of filtered collected water. So it may take a couple hours once a month. No big deal. My son can play on the beach. After you figure the time and money spent on traveling to a LFS (depending on how close to the water you live) for salt mix and then mixing, it's probably a wash.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2257825

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r3xoZSA_DGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would never collect SW from a beach here, too many polutants for my main reason, but good lord hauling all them buckets from beach to car/truck would get old fast.
Beach parking is somewhat limited here, you usually have a walk.
Our Scripps pier pump/filter is pull up and fill, and it's fast, you can fill a whole truck bed full of 55's in minutes if your truck can handle it.
Living here all my life, being a surfer/diver of some nearly 40 years, I know what beach water contains, don't want that in my tank, not unfilitered.

My opinion on OP's question is this, how does this affect reefers here in CA?
Very little.
Real estate here is expensive, from what I see on the boards and in meeting people the vast majority of reefers here seem to be renters, and renters do not have to pay for their own water.
If more landlords had a clue on what we do for WC's aquariums would be banned from most properties I'm sure.
Those that do own their own homes and pay for water have a bit more incentive, and probably landscapes are the first hit in conserving water.
So homeowners and those w/ a conscience or earth friendly seem to be putting most effort into helping w/ this issue, and sadly a great many choose to bury their head in the sand on this issue.

Landlords cover water and trash unless you have a specific arrangement w/ that landlord.

I expect they do the same in CA as on the east coast. Whatever the landlord is covering, is factored into the rent...so renters are still paying, just indirectly. Also a fair bet that any unexpected increases in covered utilities will also result in an rent increase at the end of the year.

^^That I agree w/
I gave up the need for shampooing my hair years ago, I figure it's a fair trade that I get to keep my reef tank, and I sure hope any landlord sees it the same way when they get that water bill!lol

Of the 8 or so places I rented in Cali over my lifetime, water sewer & garbage were always included. I don't think it's a law though.

For many years, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified California landlords who billed tenants separately for water as sellers of public water. Landlords had to comply with the California Safe Drinking Water Act, which requires water testing and treatment. Since residential landlords have no ability to store or treat drinking water destined for their tenants, they were discouraged from installing submeters and separately billing tenants. In December 2003, the EPA changed its stance. California landlords who bill separately by using submeters are no longer considered water sellers, but only if they use submeters. If a California landlord divides the property’s water bill among residents based on a ratio of floor space, number of occupants, or some other quantitative measure, the landlord will still be considered a seller. The EPA justifies this stubbornness not on the grounds that ratio billing makes the landlord capable of storing, testing, and treating the water, but on the theory that ratio billing does not encourage water conservation to the same extent as submetering. (Applicability of the California Safe Drinking Water Act to Submetered Properties, 68 Fed. Reg. 74,233 (2003).)

^^ daveocean, isn't that much ado about nothing. Landlords avoid this rule by baking the water cost into the rental rate which is a roundabout way of charging per square foot or per bed/bath anyway. No big deal for the landlord. As for water conservation, multi tenant buildings use much less per occupant than SFRs because there is so much more landscaping around homes.

yes I get that, but what we have been or are paying has not changed since new mandates, meaning I don't see much of an affect on anyone I know around here as for reefing.

True, but the majority of reefers don't use much water in the hobby. 10% weekly water changes and topoff for the average tank (90 gal??) amounts to what, 30 -50 gallons of tap water per week. How much can be saved there?

True, but the majority of reefers don't use much water in the hobby. 10% weekly water changes and topoff for the average tank (90 gal??) amounts to what, 30 -50 gallons of tap water per week. How much can be saved there?

I'm not sure if you read everything written and my lengthy response was in regards to the comment about renters paying for water.
I agree w/ you.
My comment earlier mentioned the only thing I'm seeing affected right now is how people are dealing w/ landscaping and bigger draws, I'm not seeing anything or anyone really affected as reefing goes, at this time anyway.
LFS prices may be adjusting w/ this.

Scripps pier/Birch aquarium allows us to take as much filtered SW as we could possibly want.

Good to hear they still do that. When I was a student at UCSD - about a million years ago - we'd get our water from a spigot next to the old aquarium.

Regarding the natural sea water. I dive a lot in Monterey which is about a 4 hour drive from Sacramento give or take. I've collected 25 or so gallons before and hauled it home. Next time it will be about 150 or so and keep it in the garage.

Bay Area is of course closer but the water just isn't the same. However I may give it a go.

Regarding the natural sea water. I dive a lot in Monterey which is about a 4 hour drive from Sacramento give or take. I've collected 25 or so gallons before and hauled it home. Next time it will be about 150 or so and keep it in the garage.

Bay Area is of course closer but the water just isn't the same. However I may give it a go.

Hell yes. Collect it. Everything I've read about using NSW was positive. If you have a truck or suv, pick up a nice size poly tank for hauling.

In fact I recently read an article that suggested using ground water will actually have more of an impact on rising sea levels than melting polar ice caps. Whether or not it's true, I don't know, but it seems plausible. If we're pulling billions of gallons of water out of the earth, ultimately it ends up in the ocean.

And really, more investment needs to be made in advancing desalination. It just sounds really silly that a coastal state is in a drought meanwhile the big blue Pacific is sitting right there with unlimited water potential.

From an outsider looking in, I think it's safe to say Cali has an over abundance of regulations, but being that it is a coastal state why not just collect water from the Pacific if you live close enough? Or is that regulated too?

Some of us do use ocean water. I've used both Scripps Pier filtered water and water from the beach. For me it's the way to go. That said, wading into very cold water in February isn't for everyone.

Some of us do use ocean water. I've used both Scripps Pier filtered water and water from the beach. For me it's the way to go. That said, wading into very cold water in February isn't for everyone.

Water is cold for sure. Most divers in the area are using dry suites. Personally I just use a 7mm wet with a 3mm chest heater. Some good cloves and hood I am good for 3 dives off the shore/beach. Boat diving wears on me a bit more because it is earlier in the morning and first dive is deeper. 49 degrees F is cold and that initial leap off the boat when the water enters the suite and forms the layers between the skin and suite - very shocking :)

I've never heard of Scripps Pier though offering that but then again that is too far for me living outside Sacramento. That would be a great options.

Do you guys have any passes that connect to intercostal water ways where you could just drive up and start pumping?

Back