How would you go about running Kessils and T5's over an open top tank?

deputydog95

Just curious... I have 3 Kessil 360's. Not sure how I feel about the them. The tank looks great but I haven't seen a lot of growth. When I had my last tank dialed in (6 T5's), seemed like you actually had weekly growth. It was great.

Was wondering if there was a way to add 4 T5's to run with my 3 Kessil's? The tank is abou 20" wide.

Since it's a rimless tank and I don't have any place to hide the lighting, I'd prefer something that looks "finished" if I can.

Thoughts?

How long have you ran the Kessil 360's on your tank?
Do you think maybe you still need to find that sweet spot?

Many LED users tend to give up rather quickly and blame the lights, although often its the user not finding the sweet-spot. Completely normal feeling for everyone who has indulged in the LED trend. I, myself, was completely frustrated after buying two Hydra 26 HD's (coming from an ATI 6x24 Dimmable) because my Acropora did not look that great. Though after speaking with other Hydra users and trying various profiles, I finally found that sweet spot. My Acroporas never looked so bright!

However, maybe you have attempted various times to find that sweet-spot. Sometimes you just can't, I guess...
Adding T5's always seem to be an awesome solution to improve coral quality.
That being said, would you be interested in making or having-made a floating canopy? Those always look slick over rimless tanks and allow you to hide your lighting inside of them. You could have your three Kessil 360's along with 2 Retrofit T5's in front and back.

OR

You can even look for a used MH/T5 combo fixture. I've seen a few of those reformatted for LED/T5. Makes it look clean by simply removing the metal halides in the fixture and replacing those with the Kessils. This will be nice because the T5's will already be neatly fitted and wired into the fixture.

Here is an example:
This tank and setup belongs to terry4505 on his 120. The thread this is posted in is dedicated to high-end LED's with T5 supplements. Can be found here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24470443

20160206_114317_zps4j5hdqjy.jpg

20160411_193036_zpsaeucgqbn.jpg

Wow, that MH/T5 combo converted to Kessils looks amazing. What a great idea!

I've been running them since May. I basically took my 65 gallon and attempted to transfer everything to the new 110 gallon. We changed a lot of stuff and it hasn't exactly gone smoothl... I'm basically following Kessil's SPS settings setup. I did up the intensity a bit today so we'll see what that brings. Kessil said to keep upping it weekly until things look unhappy and then back it down.

Things haven't been terribly stable since the transfer so I'm trying to be patient. I figure I'll give it a few more months as the chemistry is finally settling down. Things just don't seem to pop and there's little to no growth.

In the meantime I'd like to start researching options. I'm not saying you can't go it alone with only LED's, but seems like you'd have pretty much guaranteed success with the T5 combo and LED's. My previous T5 setup rocked, but the tank was very mature and dialed in nicely...

Wow, that MH/T5 combo converted to Kessils looks amazing. What a great idea!

I've been running them since May. I basically took my 65 gallon and attempted to transfer everything to the new 110 gallon. We changed a lot of stuff and it hasn't exactly gone smoothl... I'm basically following Kessil's SPS settings setup. I did up the intensity a bit today so we'll see what that brings. Kessil said to keep upping it weekly until things look unhappy and then back it down.

Things haven't been terribly stable since the transfer so I'm trying to be patient. I figure I'll give it a few more months as the chemistry is finally settling down. Things just don't seem to pop and there's little to no growth.

In the meantime I'd like to start researching options. I'm not saying you can't go it alone with only LED's, but seems like you'd have pretty much guaranteed success with the T5 combo and LED's. My previous T5 setup rocked, but the tank was very mature and dialed in nicely...

Isn't it amazing? Looks really good.

Ahh okay, so its just not your lighting then. Its your water quality and stability as well. I'm sure the tank is still settling and getting back in its zone. That could also highly explain why you're having issues.

Well reef's do take time to settle and take off. My ZEOvit tank was a bit of a rollercoaster for the first 4-5 months until my acropora started to take off when it finally stabilized. My friend is going through the exact rollercoaster now, with ZEOvit.

I agree with guaranteed success with T5/LED. I ran 3 Hydra 26 HD's plus 3 bulbs of T5. My acropora loved it on my 36" tank. Tons of light, but always had trouble with my wifi and connectivity to the lights. So I gave up and just went straight back to ATI with the SunPower 6x39. Just plug and play, works great. But I may be forced to downgrade soon, in which I'd be going back to LED with either the G3 or G4 Pro.

I'd say get your options open for lighting in regards to adding T5's. While you're doing that and your research, give it a few more weeks before doing so. Unless your heart is dead set on adding T5, then just do it.

Either way, once your tank is dialed in, your acropora will do well once the tank is settled in.

Back