Humaguy synopsis on the efficacy of garlic for marine fish

Nice report. It never made sense to me to feed a fish something it would never encounter in the wild.
Now if you could just dispel all the other unproven myths in this hobby.

Unfortunate that science means little when put up against the hype of unproven myth. People are so quick to latch on to that "miracle cure all".

Great info, this should be a sticky, can't fight science with anecdotal evidence. Its a great read for the open minded aquarist.

I do not and have never used garlic for disease cure or prevention. I also have never used it in my tanks. On the other hand, I love it on my steaks and as a consequence have no problems with vampires (yet). Great post and I do feel it would be beneficial as a sticky. I was aware of the issue with liver lesions.

I agree that short term use to get a picky fish to eat is ok. I honestly don't see long term use necessary or helpful.

I will be the sacrificial lamb & say that I have used it for my dog & currently for the horse. The dog was highly allergic to everything. I think it helped boost her immune system but I also used it mostly during spring/summer as I do with the horse to help keep bugs away. Garlic is in the same family as onions but not have the same toxicity level as an onion will affect a dog. My vet recommended fresh garlic, a clove or 2 per day based on the size of the dog. I can't remember if there is anything about the use of garlic on the website, but her name is Dr. Karen Becker if anyone wants to look.

You are feeding a horse that is ~350-500kg a clove or two; maybe someone can calculated the exact amount, but in order to reach the reccommended dose 400mg per kg of allicin, a horse would need several pounds fresh garlic. I think most vets would agree that if your small dose feels good to you and you think it might be helping fight away a few pesky insects, then feeding a clove or two probably won't be doing any harm to your animals. Same goes for the dog too.

I suppose to continue that, is the dosage of allicin that my pellet manufacturer adds to my feed beyond a "feels good" dose? Or, is the dose small enough that any risks are worth the likely placebo?

Last edited:
Garlic is bad for dogs as well.
We were told to put garlic powder on our dogs (we have 5) food years ago to prevent flea infestations. It not only did not work as a flea repellent. It gave one of our dogs a bad case of anemia.

Ok, My question is this. What if anything can we add to our homemade foods that could act as a fish safe, reef safe immumostimulent or anti parasitic ingredient? hufas, omega 3?

Any research to add anyone?

In a word: Selcon

Selcon, Aquarium Food Booster 16 oz. (480 ml.) by American Marine.

Only Selcon Concentrate™ contains Omega-3 HUFA, Vitamin B12 and pure stabilized Vitamin C.
So if you are establishing a saltwater breeding program, preventing/reversing lateral line disease or just maintaining a healthy reef system, try Selcon; it's truly amazing.

- Excellent for reef aquaria
- Filters may be kept running
- Will not alter water chemistry
- Excellent for soaking freeze-dried foods
- Does not contain Yeast, Phosphates, or Nitrates
- For marine use only
- Use several times each week for best results

Ingredients:
Selco Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids; Marine lipids 200 mg/g.; Vitamin C stabilized 200mg; Vitamin b12 Cyanocobalamin 240 mcg.

Directions:
Soak any type of freezed-dried or frozen food with .5 ml Selcon
Feed 1.0 ml Selcon to portion of live brine shrimp to greatly enhance thier nutritional quality.

Last edited:
Ahh, just read the post from Humaguy, thanks!
It is like moms trying babyfood, if they like it, it must be good for the baby, that means too much salt

Back