hydroids, any way to get rid of them?

reefpimp#1

I've been noticing alot of hydroids in my tank. Some are a couple inches long.
They're the long ball on a chain looking kind.

Is there any way to get rid of them or slow there spread?

that sucks! unfortunatly what i was expecting to hear though.

will the base regrow into a new one?

and will the snapped off top section regrow into a new one if dropped?

I know copperband butterfly love aiptasia. But im not sure if they eat hydroids. Although they are within the same species its possible. Perhaps sombody can chime in about it.

But copperbands are not a good permanent solultion to the porblem. Because they tend to eat only living food and eventually starve to death.

I have been trying the manual removal route for a couple of months now, the base does regrow and any bits that are dropped will regrow too!! I take the rock out of the tank and normally just pull as much as I can off but I am getting sick of it so tonight I am going to get rid of as much as I can and then put epoxy over the rest!! Hopefully that will stop them growing back!!

there all single and spread throughout the tank at all levels rock removel and cleaning is not an option. I guess I'll try plucking them and see how that goes thanks for the tips.

I would try to kill the bits you leave behind some way. I was suggested the kalk paste also but have had enough of them now so I am trying more drastic measures!!! Good luck!

Back