i ate some sea urchin last weekend

skunkmere

I tried sea urchin at a sushi spot last week.since i had one in the tank i thought why not. I didnt like it it had a orange thick sauce and had to force it down to avoid spitting it on the front restaurant windows. :hmm3: :frog:

Alligator is usually deep fried... Doesn't taste like much other than breading...

I love sushi but don't like urchin or eel.

abel, you might have gotten some bad uni. bad sea urchin tastes bitter and looks like baby poop. that's what i got the first time that i tried sea urchin in a sushi bar. i also had trouble not spitting it out and it was a major achievement to swallow it. i went a long time before i tried eating uni again.

the next time i got sea urchin, it was fresh. it still looked like baby poop, but it wasn't at all bitter. it was a much better taste experience, and it wasn't at all bad.

i guess there's a reason that they say that sea urchin isn't beginner's sushi, or that its an acquired taste. i think that most of the time when people say that they are unknowingly making up for the fact that they got some sea urchin that wasn't the best quality. it spoils very fast, so you're not likely to get the non-bitter variety very often. when i order sea urchin, i always ask how old its is, how good it is, and if i don't have to pay for it if its bitter.

eel? i absolutely love it. unagi don is one of my favorite dishes at a Japanese restaurant. a properly prepared unagi has a very delicate flaky texture and a very delicate flavor as well.

sure, they're not for everyone, but i love them. ;) don't give up on sea urchin yet. if you find some good uni you may like it.

OT - I've got the photos. Thanks!

Us Italians eat them raw. Back in Italy people would find them near the rocky beaches and would crack them open and eat them on the spot. We also cook them into our pasta especially during the Christmas season.

I have to agree that I wasn't a fan of the sea urchin. Another one i didn't like was salmon rowe .... yuck! Actually it was quail egg on top of salmon rowe if i remember correctly ...

I did like eel alot though!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11278944#post11278944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aiko670

I love sushi but don't like eel.

I was brought up eating eel
My Dad was from Sweden and every Christmas he brought home the Christmas eel, it wasn't till about the 1st grade that I found out all Americans didn't eat it.
I remember skipping home from my school with my friends singing"my dads coming home with the Christmas eel"
suddenly all of my friends stopped skipping:(
I never mentioned our potatoes have herring in them

I can still see a 4 foot eel on the table with that ugly face and those sharp teeth
yum, yum
with Aquavit

I have some sea urchins in my refrigerator. My dad plans on eating them tomorrow, I will snap some pics of them cracked open so everyone can see what they look like.

I don't eat them. My dad loves them...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14166121#post14166121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beetlenut33
I have some sea urchins in my refrigerator. My dad plans on eating them tomorrow, I will snap some pics of them cracked open so everyone can see what they look like.

I don't eat them. My dad loves them...

Giuseppe eats sea urchins!!!

I love mussels, scallops, saltwater fish. Can't really eat freshwater fish? :lol: When I go to El Barco off AshLand Ave. I eat a ton of Oysters! I Love Oysters from them!:bum: I have YET to try "Sushi":eek2: Is Benihana good for to start? SomeWhere I won't get tapeworm? :rollface:

Are urchins a common thing at sushi resturants? Can you get it at a grocery store? I have only tried sushi once and could barely keep it down. I can't imagine them tasting good.

Uni is actually the guts of a sea urchin. It certainly looks like baby poop, carrot color. Even the Japanese that eat it are in the minority. I've tried it three times. The first two times it was simply the sushi form and the last time was tempura uni (breaded and deep fried). The deep frying actually made it edible. The heat actually cooked it a bit and took some of the strong fishy taste away. Uni is not for me and while I will not eat it again, you should keep an open mind and try it. You might be amongst the few, very few, people that like it.

Re: i ate some sea urchin last weekend

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11278743#post11278743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skunkmere
I tried sea urchin at a sushi spot last week.since i had one in the tank i thought why not. I didnt like it it had a orange thick sauce and had to force it down to avoid spitting it on the front restaurant windows. :hmm3: :frog:

well the orange slimy stuff was the roe.

Back