i can OFFICALLY joing your ranks on saturday!!

Sorry to hear the clam didn't make it. I was hoping it would pull through. I have seen clams with light areas in the mantle live a long time with no problems. I know you provide good conditions so I was hoping that the clam night have just been showing some shipping stress. It can be hard to judge a clam by a picture since they tend to close a bit when retailers try to get a picture. Unfortunately the retailers don't have the time to position the camera and then wait for the clam to open fully again when they are trying to get pics of a large number of things.

I'm sure your next clam will do much better. Hopefully RM will make things right. There are some other places you might want to try if you are specifically looking for just a clam. Clams Direct, East Coast Clams and even The Logical Reef all have very nice clams. Bryan at the logical reef has very reasonable prices for both shipping and livestock and packs things very well. I'm sure you know all the fun places to shop:)

Laura

yeah i guess a LOT of the max's from walt smith aren't doing well after shipping to people

i am gonna use my credit at RM to get a crocea instead of a max...they are supposed to do better. just have to figure out which one and when to ship...wish it wasn't a holiday weekend i would have it sat shipped :(

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket said:
i am gonna use my credit at RM to get a crocea instead of a max...they are supposed to do better.

It would be a stretch to suppose crocea are more hardy then maxima. Quality specimens of either are an absolute requirement and you might want to wait a few weeks just incase a clam related parasite/disease/etc came with the last specimen.

Good luck.

no that they are more hardy...they ahve been comming in to stores in BETTER condition.

there shouldn't be any diseases...just some stressful shipping and bleaching..but i might wait it out for a while

Lunchbucket

Waiting should not hurt and given the recent temp jump in the wholesaler locations, it might be a good idea to wait until Sept :(

I would personally use the RM credit for other items and head to the clam focused suppliers and work out shipping to S. Dakota.

i have looked a little but can't find anything small enough to get. also thier corals are wild right?? well i DON"T want one of those

so i am stuck w/ my $$ just need to figure out what to do w/ it :(

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket, also have lost 2 Max's recently from RM. However, over the last 8wks. I have obtained 6 acro's from Chris & have not had any troubles. In fact, they all seem to be "fast growers". Back to the clams, my other,older clams are doing fine. The two from RM did OK for 3wks. then began mysteriously declining--neither had pale centers at first.

hmm, don't know if i can get a coral or not...not sure what chris would say. also seems to be ONLY max's that have been dieing also.

no idea
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket, Just finished a long ph. discussion with Chris--he's as perplexed as we are about the Max's. As you know, he obtains all his clams from Walt Smith,who he will talk with about same,Bob

cool, sounds good. i know others have metioned this problem too...someone needs to back track and find out what is UP! not just RM is having troubles w/ them....so it is something to do w/ the clams or the collection IMO

Lunchbucket

ok, my replacement is comming tomorrow. Chris got this SMALLER one in for me specially. the ones on his site are BEAUTIES right now but JUST TOO BIG.

this guy is 3.5-4" better sized for me at the moment.
RMD07030045.jpg
hope the pic isn't huge...just took it from their site.

Lunchbucket

Back