Ideas to lower electricity usage in our tanks.

Regular maintenance can help to a small degree. A dirty,clogged, coraline encrusted pump or powerhead draws more amps than a clean one.

Move to California with tier system you will find a way. I toyed with the idea of shutting down almost everything at night and put in a Tunze in tank skimmer to keep everything oxygenated.

Move to California with tier system you will find a way. I toyed with the idea of shutting down almost everything at night and put in a Tunze in tank skimmer to keep everything oxygenated.

Yeah I'm here in CA on the tier system. I wouldn't wish it on anybody with multiple tanks and multiple weekly laundry loads

Somebody here mentioned closed tops are a no no because of the light they cut down but I strongly disagree. Sure, you have to clean them every 2-3 days, but they not only keep heat in (I use a 50w heater on a 40gallon tank, all because its sealed!), but you also cut down on water evaporation A TON.

BTW they dont have to be SEALED, as that would cause insane amounts of condensation. But do have them "tight-ish" fitting with a little space around the edges for small amount of air to circulate and keep condensation to a min.

Also, keep your tanks at 78 degrees, nothing higher.

Back