Ideas to lower electricity usage in our tanks.

About $.08 is the lowest I have seen online, he must be leaving out either the delivery or the supply charges.

About $.08 is the lowest I have seen online, he must be leaving out either the delivery or the supply charges.

That is correct. The price I listed is simply per kWh. I didn't include the other charges as I would have to pay those anyway just by owning a home and using their service.

Last edited:
What electric company? That is about 75% lower than the national average for electric price wise.

PPL. I live in a very small town near the Poconos in Pennsylvania.

And, I thought I'd add I know how lucky I am to have low energy costs. In the winter when my AC is not running my monthly bill is only around $40-50. In the summer with the AC in my living room running pretty much 24/7 it still stays around $90. This is for a 1500 square foot home. It's also this low because I live alone and attempt to be energy conscious.

LED as lighting. Using fan to cool tank off instead of chiller and alternate the lighting schedule during summer months. Also select pump that is more efficient in term of W to gph.
keep a smaller tank!

In the planning stages of upgrading to a 150g, with a ~75g sump. Energy cost is definetly part of my concern. I am planning on the following.

MP40(possibly 2)
LED's
High efficiency skimmer.
High efficiency internal return pump.

I don't think keeping it cool will be a problem. I keep my house at like 62. I'm afraid my tank is going to need some serious heating.

In the planning stages of upgrading to a 150g, with a ~75g sump. Energy cost is definetly part of my concern. I am planning on the following.

MP40(possibly 2)
LED's
High efficiency skimmer.
High efficiency internal return pump.

I don't think keeping it cool will be a problem. I keep my house at like 62. I'm afraid my tank is going to need some serious heating.

Insulate. Put melamine foam on the back of the tank, line the stand with it. Insulate pipes that are not in the stand, and use a canopy. I keep my house at 62-ish right now, and the heating is not too bad on my 120. The heaters do not come on while the halides are on, and for a few hours after. The rest of the time, a 500 watt heater cycles on for 20-ish minutes, then off for 30-40 minutes.

I dont think i saw this posted by anyone else but i will be splitting my return and using 2 SCWD (switching current water director) on my next tank. Mechanical device that should give plenty of wave action without using electricity.

You can have good wave action and a lower ele bill with a Tunze 6055 nanostream pump,because thay run on DC power and thay have a low heat motor.In my own tank i used 4 of them.And thay can run off a car battery if you have no AC power.

use a curlycue bulb for your fuge; and replace everything in your house with those lights in the bright white end of the spectrum---not the yellow bargain lights. Your house will look fresher, and you'll save significant electricity. Replace any plant growth lights with those.

I too was bitten by the save energy bug this year when I decided to do my new system, I went with Acrylic over glass mostly for the sealed top aspect but also insulates the tank.
In the process of building a full LED set-up to replace my 8 t5's, also went with two SCWD's for water movement.
Also did a basement sump this time so shouldn't have to run the A/C next summer "it was hot this year" the whole system is supplied using a reeflow HH gold for return pump and manifold to the reactors.

Changed out all the bulbs in my house with curly ones, also bought a killawatt meter and did some testing around the house, everyone should get one of these found out my computer draws 400 watts in sleep mode (ouch) so it gets left off now.

Matt

For those of you who think you might not be able to afford solar panels, here's an alternative:
http://cleantechnica.com/2008/02/07/how-to-cheap-or-free-solar-panels/

I haven't tried this but i intend to in the next couple months. If you go with the above option, you could pay a little money to get your panels repaired. This would be extremely cheap compared to buying your own panels, and with near efficiency.

Apparently you can also build your own solar panels or build your own wind turbines.

There are really tons of options out there for producing your own electricity. It just takes a little effort to get it figured out.

Here are some more links that should help with solar stuff
http://howsolarworks.1bog.org/solar-myths/
http://1bog.org/solar-estimate/

Good mention of running a full canopy to cut down water loss, but don't forget the sump too. Unlike the display tank, if you aren't lighting the sump you can significantly close up the top of it. Totally sealing it may not be practical, but it's something to shoot for.

I've also changed my theory on water flow rates. Rather than trying to push huge volumes through my sump to get good tank turnover, I've gone with a much smaller return pump on my sump (Mag9 at 90w to a QuietOne 2200 at 40w).

Oh, and eductors. Big increase in flow, with the same pump.

I'm going to be swapping my older Koralia 3's soon for the new Evolution 1050's. Again, more flow, less power. I'm told that the new design is possible to run on the wavemaker timer on my RKL, so that's a further bonus.

-Hans

voltage is E. so it wouyld be P(power)= E(voltage) x I(amps)

ohms law P=EI

You sound like my Dad, I'm betting you went to school a long time ago... Most schools teach it as V now, not E. You are correct any old-timer would know it as E... LOL!!! :rollface:

I think the best thing you can do for your tank is remove the crazy inefficient, really hot MH lights and join the T5 or LED revolution!!!

I was just thinking: by raising my sump 18" I could reduce the head pressure on my pump, gaining another 100-200gph; combined with my home made eductors, another 400-800gph! Or I could replace my return pump (a Powerjet 5000) with the next size down and realize a 13w energy savings w/ minimal loss in flow.

I think I will do this when I finally build my sump and frag tank cubby; not for the increased flow, but for the additional storage under the sump!

Back