Just a little grow out system build.. open to advice and suggestions

bvysochin

Coral Hoarder :P
Hi guys. Just thought it's about time to share what we've been working on for quite some time. As you all know, we are pretty addicted to this hobby and have been looking to expand for quite some time. Some of you have seen this project in the works...

What it is:

A dedicated fish room/structure build. After months of research and number crunching, we decided to build a permanent, permitted and inspected, structure to house this new upcoming system. Building a green house was tempting, in order to use sunlight to grow coral, but after having done the calculations of trying to heat in the winter and cool in the summer, I don't think it would have been as feasible. In addition, if we ever decided to scrap the entire idea, we would guess the resale value of a huge green house would have been really crappy, whereas this building will undoubtedly add considerable value.

We're at the point now where we're starting to finalize the construction portion of this, and if we're going to add anything else, or modify anything, before we close the walls up, now would be the time. For those of you that have dedicated fish rooms, we'd love to hear any input about your experiences. Specifically electrical, ventilation, heating/cooling. Any other cool stuff you guys have, or regret not doing, please let us know. Open to any criticism!

Some general specs:

Building foundation consists of 27" deep footings. Foundation poured in two stages (footings, and then the 10" - 12" thick slab). Yes.. it's that thick! The footings were constructed with a curb/stem wall type design, so that none of the wood framing ever touches the floor (we realistically expect many, many floods will happen). Structure is 30'x20' with 10' ceilings framed with 2x4 walls, 2x8 ceiling joists. Two large double pane argon filled windows (6'x6' and 8'x6). One 8' three layer insulated roll up garage door, 2" thick. One entry door. Roof is regular asphalt shingles with ridge vents and finished tongue and groove soffits.

Electrical:

Service is being upgraded to 400 amps for our entire home. This building will have a dedicated 200 amp panel, which should hopefully be just enough for what we have planned. A 20,000 watt standby generator will be installed, tied to natural gas, which will hopefully help during power outages. It has a 400 amp automatic transfer switch and is fully automated. There will be many, many, separate circuits ran. I'm guessing there will be a dedicated 20 amp circuit for lighting, per tank, which will be bypassed, and not powered by the generator, at least not automatically (in an effort to avoid overloading the generator). As of right now, we're told that SCE needs to upgrade their infrastructure to support the added draw.. For this reason, our service won't be switched over for another 4-5 months until their transformer and secondaries are all replaced, as well as the pole they are on. Solar is something that will definitely be added later down the road.

Ventilation/heating/cooling:

We plan to use multiple bathroom style exhaust fans, on timers, to exhaust some of the humidity. I don't have much experience with humidistats and would love input. There will also be a 30,000 BTU separated combustion gas heater to help during the cooler winter months (it gets into the 20's here). For cooling, we plan to use a LG 3 ton ductless, mini-split AC system with 3x 9000 BTU units (it gets over 100+ in the summer). I really hope they hold up to the saltwater environment.. Any one use these?? We purchased the system a few years ago but never installed it, due to an out dated electrical system, so now is our chance to put it to use in this building instead. Heating for the tanks will be via a recirculating gas hot water heater system. We plan to use no electrical heaters whatsoever.

Walls:

We plan to drywall, then install FRP over all the walls. The walls/ceiling will all be insulated with standard batts. I want the entire interior to be water proof, with water proof outlet boxes.

Tank racks/stands:

There will be 4 rows of industrial type warehouse racks, all welded, braced, and connected at the top for stability. This will give us 5 aisles to work with, allowing access to most of the tanks from both sides. We plan to have three levels of tanks to maximize our small amount of square footage we have to work with.

Tanks (all 12" deep, glass):

3x 7'x'2'
6x 8'x2.5'
3x 8x4'

There will later be a QT system, as well as other smaller tanks for anemone propagation, etc. Sumps to be determined..

Lighting:

We plan to use primarily metal halide and T5 lighting. Only a limited number of LED fixtures. We plan to have the lighting on for the different levels in 8 hour blocks. That way, there will be lights on, 24 hours a day and should help keep the temperature/ph more stable during the cooler winter months. Based on some quick numbers, when all the lights are on over each tank, there will be close to a 20,000 watt draw on the electrical system.. yikes.

Flow:

We plan to use primarily Vortech MP pumps. Probably 5x mp40's on each of the smaller tanks, and larger pumps on the larger tanks. The return pumps will probably be Reeflo hammerheads, with some type of flow meter, connected to a back up return pump. We got the idea after reading about Bill Wann's 20,000 gallon set up. We need to do more research, but are interested in running a cati/ani type of water filtration system, tied to a Genesis auto water change system. The building will have full plumbing with multiple stainless steel sinks, as well as one 9' long stainless drain tray. One floor drain in the center as well, even though the slab is sloped towards the roll up door.

Control:

We hope to use the APEX to control most of this system. I have no clue how, or if it is even possible, to incorporate multiple temperature probes, and ph probes, etc, for redundancy. One thing is for certain, and I have past experience with this.. There is no way in hell I'm trusting this entire system to a $30 apex temperature probe. If anyone has any experience with using multiple probes for redundancy, I would love to hear from you.

Display tank:

We plan to re-use the tank we got from KingGeorge as our glass display tank, right by the roll up door. The tank is 10' x 3' x 2.5' tall. This tank will be its own separate system.

That's pretty much the jist of it at this point. At this stage, we are waiting for the natural gas meter to be upsized, and the install of the electrical panels/stand by generator/gas heater to be completed.

Below are some pics of the progress from the time we started back in late 2013.. We tried to do the majority of the work ourselves. Most of the construction was completed by April, 2014, and then we took a long break to build up some funds and most importantly.. rest. In that span, we have accumulated quite a bit of extra equipment, which we realized we probably won't be re-using. So.. we purchased a new 20' ocean shipping container as temporary storage.

We're all ears at this point. We hope to have at least some tanks full of water by the middle of this year, and it will definitely take quite some time to grow into the rest of the system..

Thanks for reading and give us some feedback..

IMG_20131002_140150_093_zps5s4blgvy.jpg

IMG_20131005_173501_909_zpsyfhfex1n.jpg

IMG_20131110_125557_191_zpsytnjvhrx.jpg

IMG_20131119_164016_309_zpsqdfqhknw.jpg

IMG_20131202_144642_118_zpszfbfsps6.jpg

IMG_20131202_165627_472_zpsyd59qxo9.jpg

IMG_20131211_172003_611_zpsojjmnitw.jpg

IMG_20131215_152523_744_zpsrcgob6x6.jpg

IMG_20131226_160444_794_zpsqwyxk3ev.jpg

IMG_20131229_140811_472_zpsztbowu8q.jpg

We thought the gable roof wouldn't look too bad, even though our existing home had a hip roof.. but boy.. it looked horrible. Poor framers had to take it back apart and reframe as hip.

IMG_20140113_155246_274_zpscwpx0j1s.jpg

IMG_20140115_171141_131_zps89qjda4t.jpg

Just some of the views we get to look forward to once this thing gets going!

IMG_20140115_170047_257_zps2fg0blb5.jpg

IMG_20140116_120954_322_zpslgrkw5sf.jpg

IMG_20140117_164416_564_zpsjcqdnxd7.jpg

IMG_20140120_151030_779_zps9enuzvog.jpg

IMG_20140121_111848_799_zpsxtnmj0iw.jpg

Ridge vents to minimize roof jacks, to hopefully allow for more space for future solar panels..

IMG_20140124_143522_362_zpsfwokroub.jpg

IMG_20140205_140945_945_zpsfpkdaho6.jpg

IMG_20140206_131516_006_zps9qjdtwdj.jpg

Temporary storage has arrived.. this thing is sweet!

J1_zpsz0t2obug.jpg

500 LB beast has arrived..

J3_zpswvlf46cp.jpg

J2_zpsrglmb75m.jpg

J4_zps7qczdgku.jpg

J5_zpspqqry9e5.jpg

Dedicated 200 amp panel..

J7_zpscvoqxs0t.jpg

J6_zpsttibst4c.jpg

Check out the thickness of just one of the three feeder lines that's going to power our new 400 amp service. Pretty cool!

J8_zpskbnxa9y5.jpg

WOAH! You mean to tell me you built a temple for worshiping coral in Oak View? When's communion?

And how about that view, most people would have put a pool - he constructs a coral growroom!

hahaha - awesome. subscribed.

Looking great! On the HVAC we usually design around 10 air changes an hour for a wet environment, I don't think the bathroom fans are going to be up to the task. What are you doing for walls on the interior? Green board with a good outdoor paint would probably be okay, but fiberglass shower wall panels would be ideal.

Looking great! On the HVAC we usually design around 10 air changes an hour for a wet environment, I don't think the bathroom fans are going to be up to the task. What are you doing for walls on the interior? Green board with a good outdoor paint would probably be okay, but fiberglass shower wall panels would be ideal.

The walls will be type x 5/8 drywall covered entirely in fiberglass reinforced panels, so they should be entirely waterproof. The space is only 600 sq ft with a 5' x 9' space set aside for a future bathroom. I was hoping three high powered bath room fans would be enough, but was concerned about their duty cycle. Perhaps a different type of fan would work better? In addition, I could always set the AC system to dehumidify. I was hoping that by keeping the space heated to 78, I would have minimal evaporation. Currently, this winter has really kicked our butt due to the cooler temperatures, causing the tanks to evap way more than usual.. I am totally open to suggestions though.

Wow, did you considering commercial space?

Yep. But having three small kids at home and a really busy schedule, it didn't make sense. It would be one more thing to pay for each month. And I have no idea if we would ever find the time to stop in and check on things. Plus, this way, we could step outside and be in the coral room in 25 steps. Plus, instead of paying to upgrade somebody else's space, I'd rather dump the money into our own property and get some equity. What a cool man cave we'd have if we ever got out of the hobby... :)

Wow. When is the grand opening? Did you guys ever consider the use of solar tubes to help supplement lighting?

Being that close to santa barbara, are you just going to truck in your own water? or still make it?

Yep. But having three small kids at home and a really busy schedule, it didn't make sense. It would be one more thing to pay for each month. And I have no idea if we would ever find the time to stop in and check on things. Plus, this way, we could step outside and be in the coral room in 25 steps. Plus, instead of paying to upgrade somebody else's space, I'd rather dump the money into our own property and get some equity. What a cool man cave we'd have if we ever got out of the hobby... :)

I hear ya, as I have two brats under three running around here. I must say, your property looks much better now. If i was your neighbor, i'd come over and hang out.. drink beer.. and check out them frags growing..

Wow, this is a dream build Crystal. Looking forward to the progress. Do you have a completion date in mind?

WOW this build is AWESOME. I'm sure you guys will have some great corals, excited to see this setup finished.

Everything looks great, only thing I would be concerned about is the HVAC system. I have read a lot of threads online where guys have dedicated fish rooms, and it seems like the majority of them have under size their AC unit and exhaust fan. I don't think those 3 bathrooms fans are going to keep the humidity under control, and if the bathroom fans don't work, you will have to run that mini split 24/7 ...that will probably get pretty expensive. I would run your ideas past an experienced HVAC guy and see what he says. Having to redo the AC system after your tanks are setup won't be fun.

Such a cool setup, every reefers dream.

Back