If you were to do it all over again, what would you do?

Instead of going to the LFS that day when i fell in love with Salt Water, I wish I would of just hopped a flight to Vegas, and gambled all the $$$$$$$$$$ money i've spent on these tanks! Odds are, I would have hit a Jack Pot at some point in time!

Brian (OP), just tagging along with some vague ideas in mind for a new tank as well. Any updates on your decisions and progress?

I'd go bare bottom
I'd never use GFO (stunted the growth of all my SPS)
I'd go bigger than my 60 gallon cube (but not crazy big as I like my little 5 gallon weekly water changes)

I wish I had better planned the cabinet space, and adjacent space by the aquarium to accommodate all the equipment. Next time I would get creative with custom cabinetry near the aquarium so the extra equipment can be nicely tucked away in matching cabinetry (but not necessarily directly under the tank). While several people mentioned they with they had a bigger tank, I think it would look amazing but I hesitate to make the same wish because of increased humidity in the room and higher electricity costs for the lighting.

This sounds similar to my build except, I am going with a less tall tank. 48 x 24 x 21". It is a pain to work on a tank when you can't easily reach the bottom. I too am going with the two mountain with channel rock layout. My tank now has rock against the back glass and I have grown to really dislike it.

For me it is next time and this time I am going all in.

Condo living = no fish room, no basement. Everything has to fit under the tank.

130g, 48 x 24 x 27h

Inside cabinet = 46 x 22 and contains

Sump 30 x 14, Skimmer in first compartment
CA Reactor w/ 5 lbs CO2 cannister
2 separate reactors one for gfo the other for carbon
A Scepter 5g can for ATO top off
Main pump
Pump for reactors
Refugium light
Work light
Energybar 8 (2)

and on back

Apex base module
Apex controller
Apex wireless for Radion lights and MP40's

KRICKEY!!!!

Going to try to get a gyre going in the tank, with a lot of variability but generally a circular current so fish can swim into it and around the rock in an endless circle. Perhaps enable me to keep slightly larger fish than the tank length would indicate. Two large pyramidal structures for coral with perimeter unencumbered plus a channel in between.

Goal - mixed tank, mushrooms, lps, lots of gsp, sps particularly table acro on one pyramid of rock, plate coral.

Very up in the air still about fish and inverts. Want to start with livestock that will keep algae in check, keep flatworms in check, keep aipatasia in check, and eventually be able to maintain a small school of anthias, CBB or other show fish, excellent tank (chevron or something) and variety of others

Here's the layout of the cabinet interior. File too large to load.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_fGq32ljxAgdVdPZGk3bTZpbG8/edit?usp=sharing

Any and all thoughts are appreciated, other than I am demented for trying to do this...

By corals and fish to replicate a Zen Garden like style. Everything would have a reason and flow and the coral set up would be aqua-scaped into an underwater paradise.

CoralBeauty13 - You are SO RIGHT!

I've been researching like a bandit. Nothing is done yet, especially as I need to see if I can get a gyre. If it works then maybe I can go with a Tang that needs more swimming room as it will orient itself into the current and, hopefully, not pace the length. But I'm starting to see it.

Black cap basslet, royal gramma, midas blenny and/or bicolor blenny and/or sailfin blenny, 3 sunrise dottybacks, hoeven's wrasse or other that will eat flatworms and other nasties, 3-5 spotted cardinalfish, 3-5 anthias species undetermined but the easier the better, eibli angel, 3+ zebra barred dartfish, firefish, 2-3 blue gudgeon dartfish, kole tang (or powder blue if the gyre is looking good).

Of course not everything will go in the tank. But only one fish gets big and most get no more than 4" so there is a great chance that I can get a populaion established that will coexist and thrive for a long time.

If I was to start over from the very beginning, I would have done my own thing from the get go. Referring to my method of aquascape of course ;) lol

This sounds similar to my build except, I am going with a less tall tank. 48 x 24 x 21". It is a pain to work on a tank when you can't easily reach the bottom. I too am going with the two mountain with channel rock layout. My tank now has rock against the back glass and I have grown to really dislike it.

So you must be talking about a DSA 105?

1- Go way bigger than 55, aquascaping is incredibly tough since you have very little depth. https://i.imgur.com/DTrtlfu.jpg

I'm relatively happy with that but my next tank is definitely going to be over 200G!

2- No sand bed from the beginning.

3- Drill the tank.

4- Invest in QUALITY equipment or the cheaper ones just break down and you have to buy it again anyways. Never buying Koralia pumps ever again, their propellers tend to shift from counter clockwise to clockwise whenever they feel like it. A fish could get sucked into one and not be able to make it out.

I've now managed to remove pretty much all the sand from the tank.

I very much wish I had gone BB to start. The amount of extra flow I can run is ridiculous.

As my corals start to grow in more, I also wish I had used about 30% less rock than I did. I've contemplated removing some of it a number of times, but the rock is so well covered with coraline and everything else now that it'd seem like a shame.

1- Go way bigger than 55, aquascaping is incredibly tough since you have very little depth.

55s are a holdover from the freshwater hobby. They're nice for tall amazon swords and a few discuss. Maybe some schooling cardinals. As a reef tank they suck.

There isn't much I'd do differently because in the 45 years I've been keeping marine aquariums I've gone through just about every phase the hobby has seen. Started with UG filters and dead, bleached white coral. Now I use all NSW and grow SPS like they're going out of style. Ironic since I still have their bleached ancestors that were in my first tanks.

Back