I'm a moron tank owner.

emm0909

So the other day I had the issue with my overflow.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2273349

While I was taking care of this issue I stopped paying attention to the other things I was affecting. I've got some extra rock sitting in my return chamber of my sump which is really a pain in the butt but I want to keep it in the water and it's the only place I've got to put it. Don't do this. Just figure out another way to keep the rock wet.

I had to move a rock around in the sump and didn't realize that I had set it on my float switch. Luckily I had the switch turned off... at least until the next morning. The chamber started running low so I opened it back up and left for the day. My car died about an hour away from home but that's a different story. Buy the time I got home the carpet was soaked. I dropped the salinity from 1.024 to 1.020 so after the sump filled to the top I put somewhere between 5-10 gallons on the floor. I brought it back up to 1.022 immediately and brought it all the way back to 1.024 the next evening (last night). Lost nothing and the carpet is almost dry this morning.

One thing I'm learning is I need to SLOW DOWN! Always moving so fast from one thing to another. Just because things have always worked out for me doesn't mean that I'm not going to get bit in the a** one of these days. I consider this a close call. It could have been so much worse.

Wow, good catch! Are the inverts OK? I know a guy that killed his whole tank because a float switch got stuck on and it brought SG way down. I'm also guilty of assuming things will be fine. I've got a single float switch controlling the topoff. I really should have a redundant one, but.... but I have no excuse, really.

Do you have your RODI connected directly to your tank? If so that is the only mistake you made.

NOw imagine being near 50 and have taken way to many blows to noggin. The good thing is once I got in the habit of checking and rechecking things, everything is checked twice as often, because I forget that I already double checked everything :hmm4: I'm glad everything is alright! I might have just topped off with 35ppt for a few days rather than swing the tank around twice.

RODI, we live in Rochester. Our water is fantastic. (I don't have high end SPS or fish)

I one up that problem. My main water line to the house is connected directly to the tank. Overflow the tank at 50gph? How about unlimited GHP!

I may be running the plumbing down to the basement after this mistake just to make everything a little easier. In that case the top off will be run from a 5 gallon bucket and refilled every other day.

Been there , had a float switch stick with my Kalk top off. Now I have my ATO on a timer which will timeout at 2 minutes if it ever gets stuck again.

I test weekly noticed alk low upped the dosser a little waited then tested again still low upped again tested same day still low looked closer at sump area the tube for alk on doser fell out of holder and just dumping onto basement floor everyone makes dumb mistakes

Back