Imperator Angelfish in a reef tank

I got my as a juv 2 1/2 years a go .
From this
12510104-0476_IMG__Medium_.JPG

12510Juv_Emperor_10-07-03.jpg

125105-02-05_Emperor_angel.jpg

12510My_reef_tank_pictures_1.jpg

they are not a problem in a reef if you only keep sps.... i have many over the years... they however nip at fleshy LPS.. ie. brains ect

Do you have any problem with your Steve? Do they all nip at LPS and Softy??

Oh Yeah.. Beautiful tank BTW ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6508500#post6508500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
Do you have any problem with your Steve? Do they all nip at LPS and Softy??

Oh Yeah.. Beautiful tank BTW ;)
They don't nip at soft corals or some Lps You see i have some red Balastomussa in the tank.
They don't nip on Euphyllia or Plerogyra.
They will eat Cynarina,Scolymia,labophyllia, like Open brain type corals.
It never nip on my clams , sps or anemone.

OK that doesn't sound too bad.. I guess I have to sell my brain coral.. Thanks Steve..

Anyone else has this fish please share what you know :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6508652#post6508652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
OK that doesn't sound too bad.. I guess I have to sell my brain coral.. Thanks Steve..

Anyone else has this fish please share what you know :)
They get big and nasty so be ready.

Those fish are so beautiful. Unfortunately their survival rate in captivity is poor. I see them ALL the time at this crummy LFS in my area and it just breaks my heart. This particular LFS is notorious for having ich run rampant in their systems.

It bothers me to know that the majority of people (who I've seen in person) buy these beautiful fish and don't have a clue as to how to take care of them.

It bothers me to know that the majority of people (who I've seen in person) buy these beautiful fish and don't have a clue as to how to take care of them
I saw some people that had "no clue" grow fish to a maximum size Better than i had and i consider my self half way decent reefer:p

Actually Imperators have a pretty good success rate in captivity. They do get big though!

Here's mine last February when I got it:

juv_emperator_clowntang.jpg

Here it is now less than a year later:

midtank_1-13-06.jpg

It does pretty good but I don't have too many tempting corals.

FWIW, Nathan

Hmm I always thought otherwise. In fact I was reading an article in a magazine once (hmm I believe it was Tropical Fish Hobbyiest?) that stated the Imperator Angelfish had a very poor success rate in captivity.

Who knows I'm probably wrong. I'll take your word for it since you've had success! :D

Nice tanks, guys. Nathan, I see you have a clown tang in there too. I'm planning on an Imperator and a Clown tang too. Any agression issues?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6511278#post6511278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
Nice tanks, guys. Nathan, I see you have a clown tang in there too. I'm planning on an Imperator and a Clown tang too. Any agression issues?

No other way to put it. The clown tang is a bastard. There are a lot of other aggressive fish in there and most are bigger than him but he is by far the most aggressive. Also clown tangs seem to be very difficult to keep IME. I got this one "used" from a guy who had it for over a year but I tried 2 of them previously and lost them both.

Originally posted by kappaknight:
Wow, that is one big sea urchin...

The urchin is a giant. At least 12" from tip to tip. I've had it about 4 years and it has grown quite a bit in that time. Hard to get a good picture of it but I really need to because it is probably getting toward the end of it's life span.

Originally posted by Zoom:
Any Small HLLE on the face of the Emperor Yet ?

Not yet. It hasn't completely gone through the color change yet so not sure if that has anything to do with it. It is a fat sucker though!

FWIW, Nathan

Back