Importance of water changes...

Joker577 something I notice in my tank, if I slack off on water changes, is the ionic drift that Twon8 mentioned. It shows up as a slight rise in specific gravity. I'm not a chemist but from reading randys articles it would seem the two part we both dose, which contains sodium carbonate and calcium chloride, leaves us with an extra chloride ion and an extra sodium ion.

The increase in specific gravity shows up even when the auto top off system works properly.

This is part of what Twon8 is referring to other elements get out of there proper proportions too.

I think I'll go do a water change:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12838986#post12838986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joker577
I think I'm going to go back to doing 5 gallons a week

Good deal. Better to be safe than sorry, for sure.

I'm lazy too. My tank has received two in the last 12 months for a whopping total of 35 gallons in a 65 gallon tank (~80 gallon system). Hopefully the grim reaper will continue to grant me passage until I get unlazy.

i got 1 soft (mostly zoo) and 1 acro tank for 3 years. both are 200 g. i totally changed maybe 50g for softy in 3 years. i have never had a problem. they really good great.
but in acro tank it needs water changes for healthy and colorfull corals.. you could not have a long time success without wc in especially acros.
i tried all variations of water changes, my favorite is daily 5 g changes. no parameters are dancing in this.

It's very possible with an adequate denitrator and low biolad.
As well as off course a good skimmer.
50% every 3-5 months for me.
And my tank does not look like a dump trust me.

yes sure it is possible. i have still acropora tenuis, acropora millepora, montiporas, euphyllias for 2-3 years in softy tank with no wc.
but maybe because of low alk (5-6 dkh) or other causes i have had not a success with most acropora species like a. echinata in this tank :(

i do not wc for nitrate or phospate. these are mostly not real problems. at least for me. you can defeat these by reactors, dsb, macros..
this is also important for me: "mal"-nutrient export and element replacement.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12840893#post12840893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059

And my tank does not look like a dump trust me.

It's true! I seen it!

I try to do water changes every 2-3 months on my 120. I skim heavily, feed lightly, and have a relatively low bioload (13 fish, only one is medium sized, the rest are small and med/small), and I've had just fine luck as well. No nitrates either. Even using Salifert, API, etc. I don't even have a refugium, though I do have a small ball of cheato in a box that sits in the top corner of the tank. It doesn't really grow very much.

As for corals, mine is a mixed reef, 65-75% SPS, and my growth is off the chain for most of the corals. I can't trim my Superman Danae back fast enough, and most of my acros are growing into others or shading others (mostly based on poor planning and doubt of success on my part).

I still think that water changes are very important, and can be a substantial tool for improving your tank. Do as I say, not as I do ;)

Re: Importance of water changes...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12835333#post12835333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joker577
I'm not gonna lie...Since I've had my 75 gallon SPS tank setup I've been VERRYYY lazy when it comes to water changes. Its been almost a year and i've done maybe...4? But with the growth and everything i've had in the tank it just hasn't really seemed that critical to me..I've got 50x turnover 2x250 14000k MH, dose B-Ionic 2 part daily...which replaces Calc/alk/magnesium, other than some trace elements what am I really missing out on on the water changes, I skim heavily and pull out muchos gunk a week.
Thanks,
Brandon
100_2849.jpg

I don't think you should state it as lazy. I myself am not a huge fan of water changes. However, from your post you should be paying more attention to some minor details. Addition of 2-part solutions is a cheap way to keep your calcium and alk in check. This is done by adding calcium chloride from 1 and sodium carbonate from 2. By doing this you are adding sodium chloride to the tank. Overtime this will affect your salinity by going upward. The other salts in the tank will decrease over time as you remove salt water to counteract this increase. This will take years before a negative effect may become apparent. Doing 4 water changes a year will cancel this effect out and you'll not need to worry about it.

Personally, I did a water change this year and was rather disappointed with my results. My alk spiked and I had to frag to corals because of STN issues. Stability is really the key in reef keeping and as long as you've found that you're fine. Everyone has their way. Mine is just "Verryyy lazy". :D HTH

I just dont know why you wouldnt do regular waterchanges...only good things happen. Its a little effort, big reward exercise.

just remember, when you do LARGE water changes to check the levels you will be replacing 40-60% of existing water with. You should always try to match not only Sg but alk, ph, mag, cal and Temp of course.

I have always been a big fan of regular WC's, after a WC my tank and it's inhabitants always appear to look happier and healthier. I call it a labor of love and I equate to a breath of fresh air for my tank. I never understood the people who don't do water changes, I suppose if you overskim it gives you a sense of security, but as stated before you get out of this hobby what you put into it

Since i started the hobby a year ago, Ive tried to change 5 gallons a week on my 65. It's easy to remember to do a WC every sunday. And since im only changing 5g, it hardly takes any time at all. The only dosing i do is a little Ca and Mg w/ the WC, and kalk in the ATO.
My colors aren't the best, definately not TOTM, but im amazaed at my success so far.

I also agree with what kev said about it being "a breath of fresh air".
Wouldn't you want fresh air in your apartment even if the oxygen levels weren't dropping?

Back