indoor reef lagoon

liner came in today, so tomorrow I'll be going to the lumber yard to pick up all the necessary materials. Is there anyone that wants to help transfer the contents of the 8 foot 180 ? It will be a full day for sure, but I'll have a ton of food and drinks for anyone that helps and a bunch of frags I'm sure.

Well I started the frame work for the lagoon, it has a stand on one end for the refuge that will drain into it. I changed the shape of it to a rectangle to satisfy the wife and to ease the liner install.
I still have to cut and install the plywood and insulation board on the floor and walls then I'll be ready to install the liner. but any how here are some pictures.
Picture245.jpg

Picture247.jpg

Picture254.jpg

Picture251.jpg

Picture248.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14364683#post14364683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaliDreaminjC
MAN... your wife must <i>really</i> love you! LOL

Looking good, can't wait for more pics!
lets just say she's VERY tolerant of what I do. :lol:

I was told not to cut the liner at the corners since the joints will eventually fail. you kind of have to wrap the corners up like an inside out christmas present (aka pig-earing as I was told by our membrane roof installer). I have enough liner to do a 2'x6' tank and will be doing it as soon as my sump room is done, so I might be bugging you to see how it worked out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14364893#post14364893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captain7359
I was told not to cut the liner at the corners since the joints will eventually fail. you kind of have to wrap the corners up like an inside out christmas present (aka pig-earing as I was told by our membrane roof installer). I have enough liner to do a 2'x6' tank and will be doing it as soon as my sump room is done, so I might be bugging you to see how it worked out.
yea I knew about not cutting it, that's one of the reasons I changed the shape rather than making it a L. sure I'll be more than happy to let you know how it goes, feel free to pick my brain on the set-up your planning.

worked on the inside today, I have the plywood and insulation board installed, it really looks bigger now that the interior is filled in. the plywood is all screwed down but the insulation board is glued in, that way there is no chance of the liner rubbing on a screw or nail head.
Picture256.jpg

Picture257.jpg

worked on the wood for the outside this weekend, sorry no pictures yet of that. but if you can picture 150 year old tongue and groove barn wood that's what it is. I also had a Buddy plane and sand some hickory that I had milled last year that I will use for all the trim work. let me say it will look so SWEET. pictures will be up of the wood I hope tomorrow. of coarse not installed but a picture anyhow. please feel free to leave feed back on this build as I really like suggestions and ideas.
Greg:D

Forgot to bring the camera to work so no pictures of the wood yet. But I got the liner laid tonight and filled the laggon almost to maximum fill. approx. 490 gallons.:D so here's some pictures of that any how. only tap water for now. then RO after it sets in.
Picture264.jpg

Picture268.jpg

Picture269.jpg

Started the outside skin today and trimmed the liner, need to put the poly on yet and install all the hickory trim work. but here's a picture of the 150 year old pine I put on.
Picture271.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14440820#post14440820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thriceanangel
YES! This is awesome! I don't fully get the topdown thing, but it is different and I love that!
The main reasons for it is that it gives you unlimited aquascaping ideas, flow positions and you can make them REAL big for real cheap. as it stands now I have $230 invested. try to buy a 500 gallon glass or acrylic tank for that . and this thing only weighs about 250 pounds (dry).:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14438953#post14438953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 716mer
Looking awesome. I'm with Cully - Keep the pictures coming. - Mark
Thanks and will do...:D

Are you going to run your flow on an intermittent basis? That'll give you an opportunity every few minutes to look in with calm waters.

Also, are you taking any particular precautions to prevent LR from puncturing the liner?

Lastly, can I bring my Labrador over for a dip?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14441568#post14441568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Capt_Cully
Are you going to run your flow on an intermittent basis? That'll give you an opportunity every few minutes to look in with calm waters.

Also, are you taking any particular precautions to prevent LR from puncturing the liner?

Lastly, can I bring my Labrador over for a dip?
I'm going to have 2 seio 2600's on the controller and 2 koralia 3's on a wave maker. the liner is 45mils thick and is sitting on 1/2 inch ridged foam insulation. that will make it virtually un-penetrable by any rocks the only way you could cut or puncture it is with a razor blade and even then it's real hard.
and as for your retriever as long as it plays nice with mine
sure bring her (him) over. :lol:

Back