indoor reef lagoon

LOL right, you pegged it. Cheaper to build it here a second time than to rent a Uhaul and bank on (several strong) friend's help. I have strapped some large stuff to my car's roof in the past (one half of a 8 person rowing shell for one) but 4 X 8 and 300# would crush it or at least wreck my paint.

If I (re)did it for a reef I would just marine epoxy the thing instead of screwing around with liners and put several glass panes into the sides for viewing. We built a pond exhibit like that using an old car windshield as the viewing pane and it worked great :) . Those things are STRONG.

Just a update, trim is all done and poly is on, it looks SWEET.
but things came to halt till I get plumbing stuff, some of it I had to order and won't be here till next week.:mad: so I guess till then I just sit and dream of how it will look when done. I'll try to take some pictures of the completed trim work.

all plumbing parts came today :cool: I'm going to install the bulkheads tonight and then start the drain and return lines.
I'm sort of upset that the way I have my refuge/frag tank setup I won't have any other sump to install my skimmer so it will be placed in the refuge area. also I will have no way to run any type of mechanical filter such as a filter sock.:( unless I can locate a narrow 13" wide sterilite tub then I can run a lower sump to hide my skimmer and also run a sock filter. has anyone seen one that narrow ? it needs to be at least comparable to a 10 gallon glass tank. I could use a glass tank but I don't want to drill it because of the glass being so week when they are drilled. I'll post some pictures soon. I need to get at least some work done tonight.

I mite have something that size.it's an old wet-dry filter.
I used it when I had my saltwater set-up. worked great for me.
if you are going to be around sodus sometime,let me know.and you can have it,if you want it.

Ron that will be perfect. I'm comming out there today. give me a call around noon and we can setup a time.
Thanks buddy. 315-651-5051
Greg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14540228#post14540228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thriceanangel
Are you concerned with humidity at all?
not really.
I have several (5) other salt tanks running now that will all be shut down and moved to the lagoon so if any thing I'll have less humidity in the house. I also heat with wood this time of year and have central air through out the summer. so my house is kind of a dry air all year anyway.

Ok as I said all the trim and poly is on and I started the plumbing last night and today. Thanks to angelfishman (Ron) I now have a sump tank I can drain,filter and pump from. Thanks Ron.:D
but anyway the drains are the 3 pipes together that will filter though a sock, the compartment to the left will house my skimmer and to the far right bottom corner is where my feed to refuge/to lagoon pump will go. the pump will be fed from the sump and split from the T fitting and ball valve (pictured) for the return to lagoon and feed for the refuge/frag tank. I still need to glue things up but you get the Idea of the lay out.
Picture287.jpg

Picture286.jpg

Picture288.jpg

Picture293.jpg

Picture292.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544487#post14544487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Capt_Cully
Man I gotta hand it to ya. You are a nut! This thing is outrageous!!!!
I'm going to take that as a complement, I think :lol:

I think it was a compliment, many people talk about doing huge projects like this but rarely ever do. I am super interested to see how it ends up its looking good!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14545099#post14545099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefeasy
I think it was a compliment, many people talk about doing huge projects like this but rarely ever do. I am super interested to see how it ends up its looking good!!
I know it was, if you look back through the entire thread cully has been commenting and making jokes all the time.
Thanks for the complements

Oh man, DEFINITELY a compliment, like reef easy said, people talk about this stuff and never get it going. You've done more in 2 weeks than I've done all together. It's insane!!! I LOVE IT!!! :thumbsup:

Wow, this is definitely impressive! When I was in highschool, I worked at Petworld and thought it would be awesome if they turned their koi ponds into saltwater reefs. Those ponds were about the same size. Nice job!

Thanks for the complements guys,I'm trying to keep myself committed to this project (or should I be committed :lol: ) I re-did the plumbing. As I looked at it I wasn't very pleased with the lay out.
I'll post some new pictures when my camera charges up. but it's a total different layout that will work much better and have NO chance of overflowing the skimmer/pump tank. please keep the encouragement and comments coming it really goes a long way to keeping my focus on this build. :)

you could start with some damsels but good luck getting them out without the aid of Scuba equipment :thumbsup:

Thanks cully. those remarks are what keep this build going.
I'm seriously considering a spotted eel. I know of a 3 footer I can get real cheap.. the down side is that I can't keep any type of shrimp if I introduce it to the lagoon. but then again I don't have any shrimp now. So I may just get it. Besides all my other fish are to big and faster then he will be. ( most all tangs) I may have to Donn scuba gear to check things out at sand level.
:lol: :lol:

I have been tagging along since the beginning on this one. I am curious to see the finished product. It looks like it's going to be awesome looking.

One quick question... Is the floor supported somehow under the tank? It sure is going to be a lot of weight so is there any concern about it sagging?

Back