indoor reef lagoon

Thanks Cully I just had beer come out my nose. :lol: :lol: :lol:
would be cool to do that . but man there would be water EVERY WHERE.

I think I may try something like this but using a 110 gallon preformed tub I got at Tractor Supply last week. I roginally got it to save my crashing system but after I replumbed it last night it seems to be doing better and is not on the recovery stage.

I've researched a TON but I can not seem to find the answer to my question, so I'm asking all of you here, can I install regular aquarium bulkheads through the pond liner ? they will only be 4 inches under the water surface so there won't be very much pressure on them. just want to here it from someone else before I cut a 2.5 inch holes in the liner.
Thanks

I would say yes. I have a large 12" wide surface skim box installed on my garden pond. It's a plate screwed through the liner, to the skim box and the excess liner is trimmed out to open up the hole. Maybe an idea for you too. Drill through liner and plywood apply silicone to the wet side of the bulkhead and tighten. Make sure you have wood supporting the liner and bulkhead and the liner cannot stretch out and cause a leak.
Also, where the bottom meets the side wall. It will be hard for the liner to make a 90 degree corner and it's likely there will be an air space behind where the liner ramps up the side wall. When installing pool liners you usually use sand to round out the sharp 90 degree corner at the bottom. If the liner is not supported because of the air pocket the weight of the water or in a pool someones stepping there could cause the liner to rip.

here's a shot of the almost fully trimmed lagoon. still need to add the trim to the refuge stand. but it looks good IMO.
Picture274.jpg

That's sweet! You may have already said, but what are you gonna light that thing with? It really is coming along nicely. My wife would have me committed.

I had all intentions of using T5's but I am going to go with 2 400 watt halides and 2 36" 50/50 96watt PCs they will be enclosed in two separate 3 foot long light hoods that I still need to build. my wife would like to commit me also but now that it's getting the trim on it she really likes it. "it looks like a piece of furniture" she says.

at around 80 degrees I'd be tempted to bust out the mask and snorkle on a daily basis. it's funny how wives think we're insane until it's done. then they're all to happy to show it off.

this thread is awesome. keep it coming!

Reminds me of the LFS here. They have about 15 of these probably 50'L x 10'W just filled with corals and a couple with sharks. I want one. pout

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14464986#post14464986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smoovie
Reminds me of the LFS here. They have about 15 of these probably 50'L x 10'W just filled with corals and a couple with sharks. I want one. pout
WOW that must be some LFS. take some pictures of it if you can I would love to see them all.:eek1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14465488#post14465488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Henry Colf
Your lagoon tank looks awesome !!!! Can't wait to see it filled !!!!
Thanks, I still have a TON of plumbing to do and the lighting to build, and a ton of RO saltwater to make up. well 1.5 tons of water to make up to be exact.:lol:

better watch out. My wife took one look at the last pic of your tank all trimmed out and said "That would make a nice planter"

Tim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14470141#post14470141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TimmyNY
better watch out. My wife took one look at the last pic of your tank all trimmed out and said "That would make a nice planter"

Tim
Yea but what would she be growing in it.
:lol: :lol: with High output lighting and all, oh let me guess.
yea we would go to jail.:lol:

I did one a long time ago (in fact its still in my folks basement in Albany) for Koi....thing is 4' X 8' and 2.5' deep if I remember correctly. We initially used a tetra pond liner but it wasnt sturdy enough with the wood splinters apparently and had a couple of seeps. We went to a large blue fiber reinforced tarp folded 8X over itself. Didn't leak anymore after that! Kept Koi for years in there until my cat figured out how to hang down into the water on the tarp and catch them one by one :(

I always wanted to dig it out but I dont even have a way to move it out here let alone get it into my current basement.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14473025#post14473025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Meisen
I did one a long time ago (in fact its still in my folks basement in Albany) for Koi....thing is 4' X 8' and 2.5' deep if I remember correctly. We initially used a tetra pond liner but it wasnt sturdy enough with the wood splinters apparently and had a couple of seeps. We went to a large blue fiber reinforced tarp folded 8X over itself. Didn't leak anymore after that! Kept Koi for years in there until my cat figured out how to hang down into the water on the tarp and catch them one by one :(

I always wanted to dig it out but I dont even have a way to move it out here let alone get it into my current basement.
if there's a want and a will there's ALWAYS a way to get it.:D

Back