Influencing the color of Zoa's?

awcurl

Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone has attempted the "mad scientist" approach to coloring Zoa's. If you were to remove some of the pigment from a colorful Zoa with a hypodermic needle and injected it into another Zoa, would it be accepted or would the host reject it?

Never thought of a little Frankenstein running around... INteresting idea. I've played with lighting changes (works on most zoas and sps, for that matter) to change colors, but not actually removing from one and inserting in another. I may have to find a needle;)... Let us know if you give it a shot, Art.

I have had some combination morphs pop up, though I doubt anyone will believe me. I will see if I can get a pic or two to show the new zoas. They kinda look like the original zoas, but on acid.

:D Well I tried it today. I removed some of the zooxanthellae from bright orange Zoa (Bam Bam) and injected it with an insulin hypodermic needle, into Zoa with green skirt and dark center (EvilMel's Green Skirt). I will post the results along with pics if it works.
:beer:

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6532156#post6532156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by awcurl
:D Well I tried it today. I removed some of the zooxanthellae from bright orange Zoa (Bam Bam) and injected it with an insulin hypodermic needle, into Zoa with green skirt and dark center (EvilMel's Green Skirt). I will post the results along with pics if it works.
:beer:

wow
I'm onboard .. you can't change the DNA though!

edit: at least, not like that.

From what I understand, zooxanthellae are algae and are what produces the Zoa's color. So I'm hoping that some of the algae that I transferred will be retained in the tissue of the host and possibly influence it's color.

I posted this in the link Whodah posted also to many screens going I guess. I thought it was this thread.......

Zoanthids if they are from the same species then the genetics will be the same. Like dogs although they are different they all can breed with one another. Take Zoanthus sociatus for example if you have two colonies that are next to each other but the only difference is color then the actual physiology of the genes is the same except for the trait that determines color of the polyp alone. The difference in color does not suggest that it is an entirely different species just a color morph with in the species. Now if you had two different species of Zoanthus then they might war and the most aggressive would win and thus fend off the intruding coral. Another example is Euphyllia most of this species you can keep within general contact with each other in the aquarium as they can be seen within large colonies clustered on the reefs in the ocean because they are within the same genus but share different traits that dictate the species. So yes you could actually have colonies mixed that create different color morphs. I guess just my .02.....

This idea of injectong zooxanthellae is fascinating. While someone is trying maybe it woul dwork to inject a new polyp that is starting to develop since it is trying to aquire/build up zoaxanthellae. Just and idea.

i'm really excited to see if that works.

do you think transferring zooxanthellae will work for any coral?

I think transferring zooxanthellae would work, but I think there are some obstacles. First, it may be difficult to get just the zooxanthellae ifrom one coral and then get it into the right cells of another. I think that there may be some trouble with transfering nematocysts (stinging cells) from one coral and hurting another... That may only be a real issue with sps though...

Update, The Zoa's that I injected with the zooxanthellae are starting to reopen, but not enough to see any color change. I have some other potential host Zoa's in the dark trying to bleach them out before injecting into them. I'm curious if injecting into a bleached Zoa will make a noticeable difference.

Yes, I am pretty sure it's the color of the zooxanthellae that gives the zooanthid its color. These algae all have different photosynthetic pigments that absorb and reemit light of different wavelengths, giving rise to the different colors.

My only concern would be the damage to the cells done by the injection. The point at which you inject the cells might be damaged, on a microscopic level, to the point that the substance injected comes right out of the tissue. THEN you have an issue with size of innoculum. I would imagine that at first you wouldn't see any difference, but later on, if you innoculum was large enough, you might see a change.

Basically, if you got enough of the individual algal cells in there and the environment was suitable, then you might get them to grow.

Art, honestly, I am very interested in whether this will work or not but not too optimistic about it. Really really awesome idea!

This I have to see.. Good luck with the experiment. Please take lots of photos. You know if this works, everyone will be trying it.

Thinking out loud...

Zoanthids spread by budding. The new polyps always have the same color of the parent so the zooxanthella must be transfered somewhow... Does anyone know how this works? also is it possible to culture zooxanthellae. If we could culture it in something like a phyto reactor could be create a water environment concentrated with zooxanthellae and then immerse bleached corals in it. Can zooxanthellae live outside of an animal? I presume it is possible...

Jeremy

If you haven't read this thread yet, take a read.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=754990

Grim brings up some interesting points from the clam trade. Maybe we're on to something here.

I know I've had some zoa's beach out in color and then recolor into a different color. Why did this happen? Did they get new zooxanthella from the water colum? I remember reading somewhere in the past that this is possible for corals to do, Just don't remember where.

Back