Internet Connectivity issue: apex, apple, and mediacom

The intent of the MobileMe/BTMM here was to enable you to have an Internet hostname associated with your router. You'd use that instead of the 173.x.x.x public IP address. The beauty of this is that a) you have an easily-remembered name to use instead of a bunch of numbers, and b) the router keeps Apples servers aware of its current public IP address at all times.... even if that address changes.

If you have a computer that is on 7/24 or at least frequently, you can set up free DynDNS account; there is a software update client that can be installed on the computer, and this will keep DynDNS's servers up to date if you public IP address changes. The only reason I mentioned MobileMe is because AirPorts don't support DynDNS - the majority of other SOHO routers do. Don't install the updater on a mobile computer - do it only on a computer that always stays at home.

Thanks Russ. I moved on from the mobile me back to my mac issue since I am pretty sure I need a new airport with later firmware to make it happen.

I did investigate dynds and I downloaded the updater to my computer and set it up according to the directions. I also set up a host with a unique address I can remember over at the dynds site.

My issue now is that I *think* I did not set up my original host name correctly at the dynds site. The reason I think this is because at this time I can not connect using the new address that dyns provided me.

Going on the assumption that I set up my new host name incorrectly, I am probably going to delete it and start over. Can anyone tell me the parameters I need to check to make a correct host? Here is the info screen. Maybe you can help....thanks in advance.

dynds.jpg

Pick a hostname and domain. Click on the blue link under the ip address field. It will fill in that field for you. Leave everything else as is. Add to cart, follow the steps for activation.

After you've created the account on dyndns and activated it, enter the hostname with domain and your dyndns username/password I'm the updater software.

OK I did all that. I deleted my old host and created a new one based on your instructions. The dynds tracker shows it as activated. Status OK

Now, I guess I am not sure what to do with this info. Do I type it into my browser? Sorry for being such an idiot. I understand the theory of what I am doing. But I somehow can't make it happen.

In the iphone app, enter the new full hostname and the port. Just like you already did, but with the dyndns hostname instead of the IP address

If using a web browser away from home, use http://yourdyndnshostname:1234 (using the actual port you chose when you configured port mapping in your router)

Back