Invert safe butterfly

Kayadad

Premium Member
I am working on my stocking list and have always liked butterflies. My tank is a 120 gallon fowlr with inverts.

Are there any invert safe butterflies?

Pyramid butterfies are pretty much invert and coral safe. Never had a problem with mine. My Copperband is almost reef safe. The only thing on his menu is feather dusters. I don't have any clams at the moment so I can't comment on that.

Have a trio of pyramids. They'll eat Xenia and Clove polyps, but mine have left everything else alone.

Invert safe or coral safe? Invert safe? All of them. Coral safe? Depends on your desired "safeness" level. Generally Hemitaurichthys & Chelmon species are the best.

Invert safe or coral safe? Invert safe? All of them. Coral safe? Depends on your desired "safeness" level. Generally Hemitaurichthys & Chelmon species are the best.

I would not say all of them are invert safe. I had 2 Raccoons in my reefing time and both went after inverts, mostly snails and crabs and smaller shrimp. They were being feed 3x a day too.

Chelmon are not invert safe. My Copper-banded Butterfly decimated my sand bed. All the worms fauna are essentially gone. All the tube worms are gone. They are not invert safe. Mine does not bother my clams, anemones or coral (mostly SPS with only a few Frog Spawn, Goniopora and Alveopora)

+1 to the Pyramid butterfly. I've had one in my system for a couple years and it doesn't touch a thing. In fact, I've never even seen it pick at anything and only eats food I put in the tank.

I would not say all of them are invert safe. I had 2 Raccoons in my reefing time and both went after inverts, mostly snails and crabs and smaller shrimp. They were being feed 3x a day too.

This. They are superb aiptasia eaters, however.

Chelmon are not invert safe. My Copper-banded Butterfly decimated my sand bed. All the worms fauna are essentially gone. All the tube worms are gone. They are not invert safe. Mine does not bother my clams, anemones or coral (mostly SPS with only a few Frog Spawn, Goniopora and Alveopora)

This.

Back