IPSF Critters Arrive: Part 1

Aaarrrggg

More excitement today... My critter package arrived from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms! Yay!

ipsf-package1.jpg

I ordered their Mix & Match Special:

• 6 Bristle Worms
  • 6 Sandbed Clams
  • 6 Nerite Snails
  • 6 Strombus Grazers
  • 6 Micro-Hermits
  • Reef Amphipods
  • Podflakes
  • Live Sand Activator
  • Hermit Homes

...and the Super Mix & Match Special:

• 6 Spaghetti Worms
  • 6 Comet Stars
  • 1 Pinky Cuke
  • 6 FREE Mini Brittle Stars

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was the inside bag was quite wet and the heat-pack was exhausted (2 day shipping from Hawaii.) I took all the bags out and braced myself for dead things...

ipsf-package2.jpg

Everything looked a bit cold and yucky... especially the "Live Sand Activator" (LSA) which had gross brown water in.

lsa.jpg

The instructions say the LSA is supposed to be emptied straight into the tank, water and all. I was thinking ...no...freaking...way... is that bag of death going in my lovely new tank!

I decided that if the other bags turned out to be alive then I would trust the LSA. I floated all the bags in the tank and low and behold some critters started wiggling!

Micro Hermits
Some of the wiggliest arrivals were the mirco-hermits... which I was overjoyed to discover were actually Zebra Hermits! I've been after some of these little guys for a while, so this was a great start to the unwrapping. They came in a bag with some damp newspaper and there was actually 7.5 of them rather than 6, which was awesome... well except for the 0.5 of a crab who was unfortunately quite dead(!)

mini-herms.jpg
mini-herms-close.jpg

Back