is certain snorkeling gear superior?

Sure there is a difference in quality/price/form/fit/function of any product..
Online will more than likely always be lower cost vs a dive shop just due to volume...
A dive shop may offer deals on equipment with classes/certifications but again like any other product online always wins..

Some brands are better than others and even with the same company they have different series that are better than other stuff they sell.. Usually its more features/functions,etc...

The local dive shop here does free certification if you buy a full dive setup and even so I can get the same gear online and pay for the certs for less than they offer..

I snorkeled everyday for 4 years in Hawaii. The only thing that I found to make a difference were flippers. Get longer rubber flippers. You'll spend 100 bucks more than other brands but you'll glide through the water and dive deeper faster. Get U.S. Diver mask and dry snorkel for 30 bucks. No point in spending more. Oh yeah...Don't skimp on the dive light either. It should take at least 8 D or C cell batts. You'll appreciate it more when you want to see what is 30 feet below you.

As far as most of it is concerned, it's all pretty standard IMHO. However, the mask is a different ball game. Getting the proper fit and seal around your face without having to make the strap extra tight is a BIG issue. The area under the nose can be cut several different ways and one will fit your face better than others, especially if you have a mustache. And trimming it a tiny bit just under your nose can make a huge difference. At least it does in my case.

As far as most of it is concerned, it's all pretty standard IMHO. However, the mask is a different ball game. Getting the proper fit and seal around your face without having to make the strap extra tight is a BIG issue. The area under the nose can be cut several different ways and one will fit your face better than others, especially if you have a mustache. And trimming it a tiny bit just under your nose can make a huge difference. At least it does in my case.

+1

A well-fitting mask is very important and enables you to enjoy snorkeling without fussing with leaking water, fogging etc. As others have stated above, fins and snorkel are pretty standard gear and come down to personal preference.

If we were talking SCUBA equipment, that's a completely different discussion (aside from the mask fit, which is equally, if not more important). :D

I agree totally that the fit of the mask is most important, try it on and make sure that it has a secure seal all the way around your face and is comfortable before you buy it. Also pay attention to the fins, some scuba style fins require you to wear a bootie when using, while some snorkel fins do not. I prefer larger scuba style fins but that is personal preference, if you get these make sure to have a water shoe or bootie that fits to use with them. Snorkels are much easier, some have a valve to supposedly make it easier to clear water and flexible tubing, I personally prefer the simple (and cheap) old school snorkels that are just a hard plastic tube, but again you can try on and find what you like. A basic/cheaper mask and snorkel that fit is much better than something with "bells and whistles" than does not.

+1

A well-fitting mask is very important and enables you to enjoy snorkeling without fussing with leaking water, fogging etc. As others have stated above, fins and snorkel are pretty standard gear and come down to personal preference.

If we were talking SCUBA equipment, that's a completely different discussion (aside from the mask fit, which is equally, if not more important). :D

This x100
very important never buy a mask online. Brother did that once, put excessive pressure on his forehead right above his nose, had a major headache after each dive, and the mask was a $100 Sherwood, a solid brand when it comes to dive/snorkel gear.
Other than dive light, computer, reg etc etc i would never buy anything you 'wear" online unless you have gone to a dive shop and tried on the exact model.

+1

Especially wetsuits! :D

Also, I think I shouldn't have mentioned regs to be okay to buy online,at least mouth piece wise, but you can change those out on most brands, been left with some sore gums/mouth before with rented regs that were super uncomfortable and sharp edged after long dives or all all day excursions when renting equipment through a dive guide service. Just food for thought.

Back