Is it likely that re-using Marine Pure Spheres would spread aiptasia?

Magik

As in the title, I have aiptasia problem in my tanks, I am tryink to set up a small tank and migrate there my aiptasia-free corals (visually inspected/gently manually cleaned?) and RBTA + clown and clam (before they will be all covered in aipt) while working on removal of aiptaisia in the other tanks. Since I do not want to wait a couple weeks for the cycle, I was planning to seed the new tank with Marine Pure spheres - or even big 8X8X4 block - from sumps from my other tanks. I understand that there is a risk I will bring aiptasia that way to a new display - but there is also risk in waiting, they seem to be out of control in my current tanks, Aiptasia X is not helping, maybe even stimulates them.

What would you do? I understand that keeping balls in filter bags (what I am currently doing and plan to continue doing) may not be enough? When aiptasia spawning, how big the clones are?

TLDR: Is risk of having aiptasia on Marine Pure balls kept in filter bag in a sump of infected tank is negligible? or substantial?

I would not ever consider seeding the new DT with anything from the existing tanks period, and id QT anything planned to enter the new sys from any old sys that had Aiptasia.
If you don't then you will wind up right back where you are now, id either nuke the existing live rock or re-start with new dry rock & QT everything in future.
I know this hobby requires tons of patience & research but its a long term investment like stocks, so patience is your ally if you want a clean DT down the rd.

But the problem is cannot start completely from scratch - I have a couple of really nice corals in the old DT, a clam, etc - so far free of aiptasia based on visual examination.

So you advice "in situ" treating of aiptasia - e.g. berghia? I was also thinking of doing it, but prolly I would have remove at least RBTA and clowns (so they will not eat berghia or berghia eggs/larvae?)

And even if I get aiptasia in a new display (I understand that many ppl think there is no "if" here)- it is a much smaller system, that I meant to keep as a quarantine tank while combining/restarting my existing tank to a new DT. So treating corals/clams with aiptaisia will be easier there - smaller volume, better access, easier to observe.

Back