Is it safe to drink RO water?

EdSnyder

I heard that drinking RO water is fine. But I when I was looking at a bottle of FIJI bottled water the other day I noticed that they claim that their water has TDS of 200. Pretty interesting. Should we have some TDS in the water? After my RO it is at 2 TDS.:worried:

Yes perfectly safe....best you can get.

Bottled water is a big joke.......most of it is filtered less than the filters you can get for your tap faucet at home.

The lower the TDS the better.

i drink it .. people say it dont give you some of the minerals you need. but im sure you make it up on the food and other things you drink.. it not like its the only thing your drinking

Figi...that expensive crap water is 200TDS, big surprise there. Heck my tap water is only about 150TDS.

that whole thing is if you drink it and it only over a long period..and from what i saw most of that info is 9years old or older

That article by Preef was intense on this issue. I wouldn't do it based on the results of the various studies. Among all the noted negatives, it actually changes your internal body chemistry to some degree and leaches your own body's minerals. Certainly, it would not appear that an occasional glass is an issue but thatmakes you do a double-take on more significant use.

Gildorph I have heard this as well but never found any conclusive studies that proved it. Do you have any links to actual studies? Thanks.

Dasani is ro where i used to work the water cooler was ro also it takes 2 gallons of water to make 1

Drink it !!
Imagine the health risks of drinking the other stuff. How about the health risks of drinking Chlorine, Chloramine and Fluoride.

That article by Preef was intense on this issue. I wouldn't do it based on the results of the various studies. Among all the noted negatives, it actually changes your internal body chemistry to some degree and leaches your own body's minerals. Certainly, it would not appear that an occasional glass is an issue but thatmakes you do a double-take on more significant use.

No doubt. The reason I brought this up is, my wife and I have been drinking it now for about 4 months. Its the only water we drink. But we were talking about how much more we pee after drinking RO water. And its not very thirst quenching. And sometimes after drinking a good bit of RO like if I have been working outside here in FL, I get a little pain when urinating. Could be something else but I never had this problem before drinking RO.

Last edited:
I would imagine RO will filter out the fluoride also. I remember reading an article on how children that drink bottled water may end up with more dental issues. I believe my wife brought it home since she is in the dental field. Not that fluoride provides much beneficial or negative effects for our reefs though :)

I heard that drinking RO water is fine. But I when I was looking at a bottle of FIJI bottled water the other day I noticed that they claim that their water has TDS of 200. Pretty interesting. Should we have some TDS in the water? After my RO it is at 2 TDS.:worried:
Of course you can drink it. You are not going to get sick because the garbage was removed from the water. Sure it removes some good stuff too, but you will get plenty of the good stuff from the food you eat.
Drink it !!
Imagine the health risks of drinking the other stuff. How about the health risks of drinking Chlorine, Chloramine and Fluoride.
mercury, copper, lead, arsenic, aluminum, cadmium, cycts and so on
I would imagine RO will filter out the fluoride also. I remember reading an article on how children that drink bottled water may end up with more dental issues. I believe my wife brought it home since she is in the dental field. Not that fluoride provides much beneficial or negative effects for our reefs though :)
Maybe so, if you have good quality tap water that is fluoridated that might be a better choice. If not, you can buy gallon jugs of RO water that is fluoridated (usually found near the baby formula and has a picture of a baby on it).

TDS in water is not a bad thing, a good mix of minerals is what gives water great taste. Judging drinking water on TDS is totally wrong.

Drinking zero or low TDS water is hazardous to your health. Nothing is more corrosive than pure water. It is an entirely unnatural state for water to be in and pure water will suck the minerals out of your body like you were a salt water fish in a fresh water tank. A glass won't kill you, but you should not make a habit of drinking demineralized water. RO water is not quite demineralized so its not too bad, but RODI water would not be good over the long term.

TDS in water is not a bad thing, a good mix of minerals is what gives water great taste. Judging drinking water on TDS is totally wrong.

Drinking zero or low TDS water is hazardous to your health. Nothing is more corrosive than pure water. It is an entirely unnatural state for water to be in and pure water will suck the minerals out of your body like you were a salt water fish in a fresh water tank. A glass won't kill you, but you should not make a habit of drinking demineralized water. RO water is not quite demineralized so its not too bad, but RODI water would not be good over the long term.

So not only are you not getting minerals from the RO water, it is also sucking the minerals from your body. Sounds pretty serious.

true
Drinking zero or low TDS water is hazardous to your health. Nothing is more corrosive than pure water.

LMAO... Ummm there are many many things more corrosive than pure water. One example would be hydrochloric acid... that stuff that naturally occurs in every healthy persons stomach.

It is an entirely unnatural state for water to be in....
and a boiled egg is a totally unnatural state for an egg, but you won't get sick from eating one everyday.

...and pure water will suck the minerals out of your body like you were a salt water fish in a fresh water tank.
That's just silly talk.

Back