Is it safe to drink RO water?

it will likely not survive a pH 1-2 in the stomach.

Ever hear of food poisoning? The stomach simply does not kill everything at that pH, nor does is always stay that low in pH. During meals the stomach pH can easily rise to 4-5+, which is great for many bacteria.

The point of FIji water is its right off the springs... lol they just sediment it and probably shock it, but other than that its pure water... not filtered out of the *** water...

it will likely not survive a pH 1-2 in the stomach.

Ever hear of food poisoning? The stomach simply does not kill everything at that pH, nor does is always stay that low in pH. During meals the stomach pH can easily rise to 4-5+, which is great for many bacteria.

Food poisoning is from a pre-manufactured toxins in the food that one ingests. Some food-borne bacterial diseases also occur if one ingests a minimum number of organisms, I mean, in the thousands if not millions. Those number will make your bottled water turbid.

Food poisoning is from a pre-manufactured toxins in the food that one ingests.

No, it most definitely is not in many cases (if not most). It is bacterial, fungal, or other parasite contamination that can grow exponentially in your colon. FWIW, I have worked on drug discovery programs to deal with organisms in the colon for this very reason.

As a follow up:

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/ecoli.html

from it:

Basic Information about E. coli 0157:H7 in Drinking Water
Total Coliforms (including E. coli 0157:H7) at a Glance
Maximum Contaminant Level
MCL = 5.0% 1
Maximum Contaminant Level Goal MCLG = 0 ppm
Health Effects
Not a health threat in itself; it is used to indicate whether other potentially harmful bacteria may be present. 2
Sources of contamination
Coliforms are naturally present in the environment; as well as feces; fecal coliforms and E. coli only come from human and animal fecal waste.
For other contaminants and their MCLs, visit the MCL list page.
On this page
Introduction
Questions and answers
Other resources

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's fact sheet on E. coli
Food and Drug Administration's Bad Bug Book
Introduction

One of hundreds of strains of the bacterium Escherichia coli. E. coli O157:H7 is an emerging cause of foodborne and waterborne illness. Although most strains of E. coli are harmless and live in the intestines of healthy humans and animals, this strain produces a powerful toxin and can cause severe illness.

E. coli O157:H7 was first recognized as a cause of illness during an outbreak in 1982 traced to contaminated hamburgers. Since then, most infections are believed to have come from eating undercooked ground beef.

However, some have been waterborne. In 1999, people became sick after drinking contaminated water in Washington County, New York and swimming in contaminated water in Clark County, Washington.

Information about the health effects of E. coli O157:H7, and actions you can take to protect yourself and your family from E. coli infection is provided below.

Again, we are talking about bottled water here. BActeria are too big to escape RO/DI filtration. Unless contaminated post-filtration, your issue is unwarranted.

The likelihood of that happening from a bottled water is nil. That's why we are still able to buy them.

I was referring to home or public RO systems. That is what most of these threads (there have been dozens of copies of this thread over the years) refer to since many of us have such systems and many reefers have them plumbed for drinking too. If you are talking about bottled water, which can be sterilized in the plant, that is a different story. Bottled water is always sterilized somehow. :)

Again, bacteria are to big to escape the mechanical stage of RO/DI filter. Heck, it filters out simple molecules, albeit chemically.

You'll note that people in this thread are referrign to their own systems:

"That being said, test your tap water for harmful dissolved solids. After having our lab test mine, I added a whole house Carbon filter with R/O under the kitchen sink for Ice and Cooking. "

So your comments can be dangerously misleading to claim bacterial contamination is not a concern and is in fact not possible. :(

Again, bacteria are to big to escape the mechanical stahe of RO/DI filter.

They grow in the post RO water. They do not necessarily need to get through the RO membrane itself. You might want to check the scientific and medical literature (such as the link I posted from the FDA) before making such claims.

They grow almost anywhere. Again, they have to have substrate. We're dealing with pure water. How are they going to build from that?

They grow almost anywhere. Again, they have to have substrate.

And so you think your assertion that it is not possible overrides scientific studies referred to by the FDA that show it is an issue?

RO water is not devoid of nutrients, especially before a DI. They may be substantially reduced, but nutrients can be present in water after the RO membrane.

Can you grow anything with just pure water, nothing else?

No, but that is not RO water. :D

That is why we also use DI.

Obviously bacteria can survive and be a problem in RO water.

Did you read my post above:

Researchers at the Center for Disease Control (CDC) conducted extensive investigations on the bacterial contamination of RO systems used in producing purified water for dialysis (15). They reported: 1. certain naturally occurring Gram- negative bacteria can multiply in relatively pure RO water;

Do you think the CDC and FDA are lying?

Nice avatar, whisperer.

I have had concerns about bottled water or RO water when it has been sitting around awhile. I figure when the bottle is sealed up it is safe and "pure". However, after it has been opened and me or someone from my family drinks from it, I figure bacteria has been introduced. I'm not afraid of it that day, but if I see a bottle of water sitting around the next day I think "I wonder whats growing in there? ... yuck!" I guess I'm saying, I'm a little less concerned about bacterial growth with tapwater.

Back